King Ranch

Not a Good Day

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a Good Day

I Think my KR is no longer. On my way south got spun around on I-95. spun around into a semi and the also into the guy who hit me. WE are all fine but the front of the truck was demolished. If we were in a car we would probably not be here right now. You can not believe how upset right now.

Question. Does anyone know at what point they would total the truck? The police report stated damages for my KR at $10,000. Any suggestions would be of great help at this time.

Old 12-21-2003, 11:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Liny,

I'm so sorry bud. I'm very thankful that you and your wife are okay....

My understanding is that they will total a vehicle when it has surpassed 66% (2/3) of it's current book value.

Please keep us posted and take care of yourself. Again, I'm very happy you all are okay...

Be careful out there folks!

-RP

Old 12-21-2003, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the info RP. I'll keep you posted.

Old 12-22-2003, 06:30 AM
I've heard they can total it too if there is structural damage (frame) that can't be repaired back to acceptable limits.

Sorry to hear about your truck, but I'm glad to hear it did it's job in keeping you safe.

Old 12-22-2003, 07:03 AM
Liny,

I'm glad everyone is okay, the truck can be replaced or repaired. IMO, the main thing to be thankful for is that no one got hurt. A truck is just a tool and we do have occasions where we get very attached but I believe that a car or truck are insignificant compared to human safety and the preservation of life and I'm sure most everyone feels similar.

Sorry to hear about your KR and I'd guess that the insurance company will try to fix it based on the estimate you mentioned. I had a '99 4x4 Super Cab that got tore up real good when some teen agers decided to run a red light in a '99 Camry and did over $7k in damages to the left front end including needing a new frame. My son was two months old at the time and was in the truck with me strapped into the back seat. Thank God I had him strapped into his car seat the correct way or I may be in prison for killing the driver of the Camry if my son would have been killed. I was going around 35 mph when I was suddenly stopped by the Camry who came out from nowhere. I never hit the brakes as I didn't see them coming, an 18 wheeler was blocking my view as he was turning right on red. The Camry was totalled for sure and both teens were bloody from the air bags slapping them silly.

Hope all turns out well and I hope the rest of your holiday is re****l and take a moment to be thankful you were driving a big safe gas hog.

You got any pictures of the KR damaged? How did the accident happen?

Later,

~DM~

Old 12-23-2003, 12:56 AM
Unhappy Please go to the Doc

Leny,
Here too, I am sad to here of your "Not a Good day".
Being that I recieved my KR due to ancident in Sept, my I suggest that you go to the Doc, even if your feeling ok and get checked out. Hey what is the cost of a co-pay, compared to the having some sort of relaps. I was hit at 60mph front /head on, and did not fel bad at all whenit happened, but by the 3rd day i thought my head was going to explode. If for nothing else, just to have it in the records that you went in case of any pending law suits. (either for you or against)
Any how,God bless and keep you safe.
Prayers from Austin Texas going your way.
K-O-R

Old 12-23-2003, 09:19 PM
It all depends on the insurance company and the type of vehicle, I worked at a bodyshop and we put a new roof on a Dodge caravan that rolled 2 times when we all thought it should be totaled then they didnt fix less damaged cars, You should be altright i getting it fixed but beware it may never be as good as before.

Old 12-25-2003, 05:38 AM
Hi all, We have been spending so much time reading all of these post, and finally became a member. We are so glad that you, and your child are ok! Thank God! I know how you feel, they may total it for a few reasons! One; That truck is actually considered a Limited Edition, very expensive to fix, they base part inventories on % of total sales of the particular vehicle! Two; As was stated above, the frame may be history, they have to be able to return in to the same tinsel strength in order for it to be insurable. I think you mentioned that it had a 5.4 in it, well if that is the case, it would be very tuff for them to achieve that tinsel strength level. Frame straitening devises never work as well as most say they do. The key is you, as the consumer you actually have to do what is rarely done! Who ever is going to give the quotes to you insurance company (Usually there is 3 shops that give a their quote)You need to play the role of a pick, picky, picky owner! I mean you need to tell them you want it perfect! They will think about what your saying! Because they wont get paid in full if your truck isn't up to par! The way all of this goes down may very from state to state, bottom line; We are glad your ok

Old 12-25-2003, 09:38 AM
Tinsel strength really won't do the truck a lot of good.

Isn't that the stuff you hang over Christmas decorations !!?

Methinks you meant "Tensile" strength.

Old 12-25-2003, 10:51 AM
LINY -

Sorry to hear about your accident but sure am glad you and the wife are okay. It's like DAVEMAN said, the truck can be repaired or replaced but you and your wife cannot. And its much more important to have you around than the truck.

Keep us posted on how things are going and I hope your holidays are enjoyable none-the-less.

Al -

Old 12-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Chestnut
LINY -

Sorry to hear about your accident but sure am glad you and the wife are okay. It's like DAVEMAN said, the truck can be repaired or replaced but you and your wife cannot. And its much more important to have you around than the truck.

Keep us posted on how things are going and I hope your holidays are enjoyable none-the-less.

Al -
Exactly. Hope everything works out ok LINY.

Old 12-27-2003, 03:41 AM
Account Suspended For 30 Days For Using Multiple Screen Names
Sorry to here about the loss bud,

Did you blow the Air Bags? theres $2,000 +- right there. I' am glad to here you are ok. got some pics?

Old 12-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Sorry for your loss. Get yourself checked over by a doctor A.S.A.P.
Do not sign anything except the repair order at the body shop of your choice. If you are not familiar with local body shops, the preferable choice would be a Ford Dealership. Do not accept LKQ parts,(Like Kind Quality=USED), if they are suggested.
Remember that you have been paying serious money to the insurance company for quite a while, it is now time for them to step up to the pump and do the right thing.

Now, for the parts vulture portion of this message.
If they total the truck out, let me know. I am desparately looking for a King Ranch interior to complete a project that I am undertaking.

Quick Reply: Not a Good Day