Introduction Forum Introduce yourself to the Community here! If you have a technical question, try posting it in the appropriate forum.

Celebrating divorce with an F-250

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Celebrating divorce with an F-250

Greetings everyone.

So the judge overvalued my boat, gave my ex my paid-off tow vehicle, and gave me her 2016 Honda Accord that is $3k underwater. I really wanted a slide-in camper setup for the trips with the kids...I have been doing tent camping with a 2 and 5 year old regularly for the last year, and it is fun for all of us but borderline impractical. It is flat out impractical if you are not going to be in the same place for multiple nights.

I was going to trade in the Honda for a new F-150 spec'ed for 2100 lb payload, but with the extended cab and standard short bed (as in 6.8 ft..what do you call these new micro-beds?), it felt too impractical as a sole vehicle for someone who has to park at a day care and a kindergarten before I can even park at work, and the same reversed at the end of the day. Also, the 18 inch wheels they seem to require now for the 7200 lb GVWR take the EPA rating down to 21 MPG highway.

Obviously I had been dreaming of and geeking out about a new F-150 for a while, but ultimately it seemed like a much better idea to keep the Accord indefinitely, and get an older truck as an auxiliary vehicle. I ended up buying a 2003 F-250 Crew cab/short bed/6.8L V10/4x2 with 192k miles on it which seems to be in incredible shape for its age. I got it for a great price, so I am still waiting on the surprise, but haven't found it yet at about a month in. Now the slide-in camper idea is actually practical, and it won't even notice my boat behind it. I have also been getting 14 MPG out of the massive thing (almost 6000 lbs curb, 8800 GVWR), which is actually a lot better than I expected, although the mileage isn't much of a concern since it isn't my daily driver.

This is my first real pick-up. I grew up on farm and learned to drive on half-ton stick shifts, but the only truck I have actually owned until recently was an old S-10 before I had kids. The aforementioned "tow vehicle" was a Honda Pilot. Goddamn it is good to be divorced.

(But don't think the wrong thing about the young children. My ex abandoned her family. The most common application of my truck bed so far is as a hilariously oversized changing table.)

Anyway, I expect things to break. I will probably be active here.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:41 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
You will like the V10 except for the fuel mileage. But it's a F250.

Welcome.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Welcome! Hope everything works out for the best.

Old 02-10-2018, 10:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Welcome! Hope the truck is good to you and your boys do well.

Quick Reply: Celebrating divorce with an F-250