grease on interior ceiling

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down grease on interior ceiling

Any suggestions on the best product(s) to remove a small black grease streak on the interior ceiling cover(fabric)??

thanks in advance..
J

Old 06-12-2002, 05:39 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the same kind of stuff you would use on the seats or carpet.

Old 06-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What type of grease is it? Like grease from french fries or like black door jam type grease?

You'll need either a petroleum based cleaner or a caustic cleaner.

I use ProSol for interior cleaning of grease and tar... Trying to think of what else compares to it. I know it has mineral spirits in it.

I've heard of people using mineral spirits on petro based stain on the interior. Then following up with a normal carpet cleaner to remove the mineral spirits. Let me do some checking and I'll get back to you.

Whatever you do, make sure it is made to remove the type of stain otherwise you run the risk of just spreading it around.

Old 06-12-2002, 06:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok here is what I've found out.

First use a clean rag and get as much out as you can

OK chemical suggetsions

Goo gone. Pour on rag and dab and wipe until gone. Follow up with normal carpet cleaner

Aerosol Brake Parts Cleaner. Again, spray on rag, dab, follow up with normal carpet cleaner.

Eimann Fabrik High Intensity. spray on, let sit, blot, follow w/ normal carpet cleaner.

Rubbing Alcohol diluted in water. Spray on, let sit, follow w/ normal carpet cleaner.

DAWN dish detergent. Detergents break down grease.

Lestoil. Last resort, will take some color out of carpet.

On a headliner you need to use something you dab on or something that foams up. Do not get a headliner soaked with water as it will help the glue that holds the headliner on start to break down.

Prestone carpet cleaner is a good foaming carpet cleaner. Make sure you let area dry though because it will leave a nasty chemical smell in your car if it isn't dry before you shut it up.

Old 06-13-2002, 02:42 PM
I would be very careful about putting any chemicals on my headliner. They are very fragile.

Old 06-13-2002, 05:56 PM
grease

the grease is some sort of black substance. Came from the bottom of a umbrella (likely tar). I tried "resolve" carpet cleaner without luck. Next I think I'll try goo gone.

Quick Reply: grease on interior ceiling