Manual lumbar support broken

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 03:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Manual lumbar support broken

My '98 XLT X-cab (69K) has a cloth 60/40 front seat, and the lumbar support (manual) on the driver's seat stopped working. The **** doesn't do anything when you turn it, and I can feel what seems like a piece of spring steel flex back into the seat when I get in. I hate this.

The original seat upholstery is in good shape (no tears or wear spots) - but maybe a little faded. I have always liked the comfort of this original seat, and living with the problem just isn't an option.

Has anypone else had this kind of problem?

Would I be better off taking the truck in to the dealer for repair, or to an auto re-upholsterer?

An alternative would be an aftermarket seat replacement (Salesco even uses the matching Ford material) but that would cost $600 - $800 or more.

Any better ideas?

Old 05-20-2002, 06:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am in the same situation as you, I bought my truck from the original owner and it was broken (just spins and does nothing). It looks like the first owner slit the cloth along the bottom plastic piece of the seat but that must not of helped out because the adjustment still is broke. Now I have a slit seat and broken adjustment. I am not sure what to do from here...Its not worth the price of a new seat. Sorry I could not help out but I am interested in keeping this post active to see if some others can help us out.

Old 05-24-2002, 07:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
At least you guys' lumbars didn't break while you were driving, it'll make you clean your underwear, LOL! Mine collapsed when I drove off a curb by accident, BANG!! I thought the seat back came loose for a second. I've undone the cover on mine, and the cable is a bicycle looking diameter. It wears in one spot and eventually snaps in two. (Planned I'm sure) You'll be shocked to find that the lumbar is nothing more than two metal plates with a hinge in the middle. The good news, is that someone on this site fixed theirs by buying a bicycle cable and replacing the offending part. Ford only offers the full lumbar assembly, at nearly $95. Profit, you know I've been meaning to fix mine the same way for nearly a year, but I may buy a new seat first.
You don't have to slit the seat, there is a long plastic clip that holds the front and back pieces together. It's tucked under the bottom of the seat back, and is a pain to get undone, and put back together. When you undo this clip, you just have to pull the cover inside out up the seat back, until you can see the broken cable. Good luck!,,,,98

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 05-24-2002 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual lumbar support broken