Need to protect passenger window and lock switch from DOG PAWS!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to protect passenger window and lock switch from DOG PAWS!

My dog seems to know when i am going to the dump or bank and knows he may get a chance to take a ride with me.

Short story is on my last truck while he would put his front paws on the passenger door rest and he would lean on the door lock switch which burned out.

I now have a newer truck and want to cover the window and door lock with something that will protect them and he will most likely been leaning on them also so it needs to be a little firm.

Has anyone solved this problem...picture would be great.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:46 PM

It's not an option to just make the dog get off the door? If I don't like what my dogs are doing, I make them stop.

I guess you could get a long, narrow, shallow Tupperware thing and duct tape it on top of the switches, but that's my only idea at the moment. I'd still just make him get off, cause I wouldn't want him scratching up my door anyway.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
You might get one of those fender covers that mechanics used to use when working on cars and hang it in the window and let it drape down and cover the door, handles and switches. Just be sure that it's thick enough and stiff enough that the dogs can't depress the switch through it. Maybe cut a couple of notches in it where it goes through the window so that it covers an area in front of and behind the window. You could probably add a magnetic strip, like that on refrigerator doors, to the part that hangs outside and let it stick to the metal door. That will help hold it in place. I suggest attaching it to the cover with contact adhesive.

A fuse should have blown before the switch or motor burned out. You might figure out which fuse it is and install a lower rated one.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Put the dog in the bed of the truck. You don't hall goats, sheep, chickens of any other animal inside right? Dogs where put on the planet to serve man, not the other way around.
Just my .02. Animals don't ride along in the cab like Cops...lol
But seriously, check the pet stores. They have gizmoes to cover the door panel and seat.

Old 05-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dogs ride with me, like kids. Use a moving blanket from Harbor Freight and duct tape it to the door sill..............

Old 05-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by 01 gt f150
Put the dog in the bed of the truck.
Not safe though, unless you're talking about in a secured travel crate. I suspect you weren't too serious about that though...

Originally Posted by 01 gt f150
But seriously, check the pet stores. They have gizmoes to cover the door panel and seat.
Agreed. Though not for those reasons, and I'm not sure they have covers for door panels. They will have dog seatbelt harnesses though, which should be used, and could go a long way to keeping the dog from messing with the door switches in the first place as well as keeping you both safe. The dog needs to be trained to sit if you want it riding shotgun. Not jumping all over the cab.

Seriously, I see idiots around here all the time with dogs climbing all over the inside of the vehicle while driving. That's not safe for anyone. You're smarter than that right. And there's a real dummy here who drives with his big dogs in the truck bed, running around in it while he's driving, jumping up on the bed rails, and barking at everything. I've seen them look like they're ready to jump out a few times. These people have never considered the consequences of an accident or even a sudden stop to avoid an accident. Never mind the natural chase instinct dogs that may have them jumping out of a moving vehicle, at speed or into traffic that's going to end badly more than likely. Some people shouldn't have pets, or vehicles, or both.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes I was joking... My little dog rides on the floor, she likes the AC vent there to keep her cool. It took some training but shes got it now. The cover I saw covered the door panel too. My Rottie sits in the back seat like a human for the first 5 minutes then lays down. Again...training and a saddle blanket on the seat. None of this in the 150, This is in my Tacoma. No dogs ride in the 150...lol

Old 05-25-2014, 04:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sub'd my dog likes to step on the OD off button on my center council while cruising down the road. I'm afraid its going to break something moving out of OD while the cruise is set.

Last edited by thelariat02; 05-25-2014 at 05:16 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need to protect passenger window and lock switch from DOG PAWS!