Door Lock Repairs

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Lock Repairs

First thing this is my first post to the forums, Second: I am having the rear door latch on my 2001 Super Cab repaired due to a complete failure to operate it at all. The price from my dealer where I bought my truck and who has done every service on it for the past twelve years is with labor $277.00. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if this price is over inflated or honest? All problems that I have had with my truck including the transmission going out at two years old have been handled promptly by my Ford dealer. I have been happy with all the services but everyone says that they are just out to rip me off . What is the opinion of the members of this forum on this?? LDJ

Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know what part or parts they are replacing? I would check Tasca online for prices. You normally can't beat their prices. I believe they charge 10% above cost. The issue would be the install. All of the door latch and parts on mine attach with screws and bolts. Most people should be capable of replacing the parts with a few metric sockets and some torx head bits. See if you can't get the part numbers.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried removing the interior trim piece covering near the door handle and looking at the lock or cable mechanism? My trucks third door wasn't opening properly either and I thought, "great, this is going to be $$$$." I researched this problem on here and many members advised there is a cable and ferrule that can come out of adjustment and create too much play. This excessive play doesn't allow the cable to pull the lock latch enough to unlock the door.

I found the cable and ferrule (yellow plastic I think) and tightened it up and put a dab of nail polish on the threads. Fixed it!!!

Old 06-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
IIRC theres a cable in the rear door that has issues as mentioned above. Can't remember exactly what to do tho.....

Old 06-06-2013, 10:28 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts

Quick Reply: Door Lock Repairs