1998 headlight knob removal !!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 PM
bb1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RaptoRx7
Video and photos of screwdriver angle are in photobucket album... The hole in the middle is straight in from outer hole, but not as big...

http://s1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee393/RaptoRx77/

Sorry So Shaky in vid... Don't know if this will help or not.. Good Luck...
Thanks again, I am doing exactly what you did (and yanking & pulling while pressing on the screwdriver), and my **** will not budge!

My **** is also different than yours....in your latest pics the right side of your **** is on more of an angle than the left....where you normally grab it.
My **** is like the left side of yours on BOTH sides....(more of a 90deg.)

But I can't believe that it comes off any different. I can't believe that a 1998 Navigator, and only 1998 has a **** different than anything else Ford made???
I am SO upset I can not even eat!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by bb1
Thanks again, I am doing exactly what you did (and yanking & pulling while pressing on the screwdriver), and my **** will not budge!

My **** is also different than yours....in your latest pics the right side of your **** is on more of an angle than the left....where you normally grab it.
My **** is like the left side of yours on BOTH sides....(more of a 90deg.)

But I can't believe that it comes off any different. I can't believe that a 1998 Navigator, and only 1998 has a **** different than anything else Ford made???
I am SO upset I can not even eat!

Your Welcome... Don't worry you'll figure it out...found a few that have been goin for about $50 - $60 on ebay. In case you have to melt it out with a fire-wrench, which is my tool of choice when I can't get something apart... Take it easy.. Good Luck...

Old 12-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I use a small drill bit or small allen key to get the **** off (done it numerous times). The tab you're trying to bend to release the **** is not very big.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:40 PM
bb1
Your Welcome... Don't worry you'll figure it out...found a few that have been goin for about $50 - $60 on ebay. In case you have to melt it out with a fire-wrench, which is my tool of choice when I can't get something apart... Take it easy.. Good Luck...
Could you please tell me what the end of that tool you used to pop it off in the video is, looks like? From the pics of the shaft on the switch assembly, you need to have something that will grab the edge of that plastic clip?
A phillips head looks like it would just slide over that clip?

I am not taking this off because the headlight switch is bad, it works perfectly. I am just trying to remove it to replace 3 (99c) instrument cluster lights that are out!

Old 12-06-2011, 12:43 PM
bb1
Originally Posted by Patman
the prying method only works on the newer version of the headlight switch.

you need to follow the above instructions
I was also looking at this video a few days ago, just pry it off....w/ the old 97-98 switch-

Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by bb1
Could you please tell me what the end of that tool you used to pop it off in the video is, looks like? From the pics of the shaft on the switch assembly, you need to have something that will grab the edge of that plastic clip?
A phillips head looks like it would just slide over that clip?

I am not taking this off because the headlight switch is bad, it works perfectly. I am just trying to remove it to replace 3 (99c) instrument cluster lights that are out!
Its a common philips precision screwdriver ..#0 size... about .092" diameter and 1" long... I'm pushing in on the clip to spring it back so that it releases the ****... it doesn't have to grab the edge just has to force the tab in...if it does slide up the angled face of the tab, the inner hole prevents it from slipping off the tab and I am still able to compress the tab so that it releases... Hope this helps..

Old 12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by bb1
I was also looking at this video a few days ago, just pry it off....w/ the old 97-98 switch-

Yeah, thats the vid I referred to in Post #2... It might be something to try if all else fails, I just worry about breaking the tab or the ****... Thats why I use the small screwdriver to release the tab... If you do try it and your **** breaks I can send you the one in the photos, I have no use for that whole unit...

Old 12-06-2011, 04:24 PM
bb1
Here's a pic of my headlight switch-

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...****-2-001.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...****-2-002.jpg

And the tools I used to try to get the **** off-

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...****-2-005.jpg

I even had a retired auto worker try to get the **** off today....DIDN'T BUDGE!

Last edited by bb1; 12-06-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:17 PM
I see.. Definately different from mine... Kinda looks like the one they put in later model Fords... Check this picture out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-FORD-EX...item588f692abb

The one in the ebay pic. has a notch in the lower area of the bezel I wonder if this is where you can stick something in and pop the whole unit out or release a clip or something??? Like the guys do for the '00 - '03s...
I can't tell from your picture if yours has that notch or not because of the wood-grained decal.... You might check and see if you have that notch, it may be an indication that you need go by the instructions for the later model trucks and just pop the unit out as one piece and not worry about the ****... Good Luck...

I can see Lincoln having an updated design on their vehicles first and it being released on the Fords later....

Last edited by RaptoRx7; 12-06-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM
After seeing the picture of your switch and some surfing on the net I am leaning toward Patman's method in his video from Post #7.... If it has that notch in the lower area I would try to pry it out like he did... He didn't appear to be using alot of force... I would wrap to screwdriver or pry tool with electrical tape a have a go....

Last edited by RaptoRx7; 12-06-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM
bb1
Nope, the first thing the Lincoln dealer looked for was the lower notch on the face plate....when he didn't see it he didn't know how to remove the switch.
I just checked for the 10th time, there is no notch on this assembly (under the wood grain)....just as in my pic.

And I really don't feel any opening inside the **** for the shaft clip to hit the **** when I fish around in there with the screwdrivers....for about 7 days now.

And the Lincoln dealer does not sell the **** separately, like on yours and on ebay for the F150....
This is why I am so upset!

KNOW ONE ON EARTH KNOWS HOW TO REMOVE THIS ****/SWITCH!!!

Old 12-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Somebody Knows.... I got faith...

You might try posting in the Navi/Expy subforum, on here and maybe even ford-trucks.com Navi/Expy subforum...I would imagine there will be more traffic there, and a lot more knowlegable and more experienced guys than me are floating around these forums just gotta post where its gonna get seen. Some of these guys are Ford Mechanics and Techs current and retired....Good Luck

Old 12-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by bb1
And the Lincoln dealer does not sell the **** separately, like on yours and on ebay for the F150....
This is why I am so upset!

Can still find them like mine...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...230537421053+e...

Old 12-07-2011, 03:08 PM
bb1
Somebody Knows.... I got faith...

You might try posting in the Navi/Expy subforum, on here and maybe even ford-trucks.com Navi/Expy subforum...I would imagine there will be more traffic there, and a lot more knowlegable and more experienced guys than me are floating around these forums just gotta post where its gonna get seen. Some of these guys are Ford Mechanics and Techs current and retired....Good Luck
I could never find a "subforum " for Navi/Expy....where's it hidden?

I am afraid that if I left it at the Lincoln dealer they would just break it....tell me it was bad....and put a new one in, @ $300+.
I have never seen such incompetent (weaselly) people.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by bb1
I could never find a "subforum " for Navi/Expy....where's it hidden?

Scroll down in the main Forum Index under "F-Series Trucks" banner here....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/index.php

Direct Link Here.....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...-navigator-60/

Ford-Trucks.com also has one under " Newer Light Duty Trucks" banner here...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Direct link here...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum27/

Good Luck...

Quick Reply: 1998 headlight knob removal !!!