Changing interior colors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing interior colors?

I've been shopping for a new truck recently, and looking at prices has me realizing I would really hate to have another big truck payment as opposed to my $00.00/month current payment.

So I figured I'm just going to go head and keep my truck, and do exactly what I want with it. One of those things is a dark interior color. I have the light grey now and want dark/black. I'm not thinking it should be any harder than pulling old parts out, painting them with a good plastic paint and going from there right?

I mean I have no clue how to do a headliner, so that's a pro job. But since I'm thinking about an aftermarket moon roof anyway might be a good thing to start looking into.

So am I biting off a whole lot more here than I'm thinking I am? I must say what got me thinking about it was sitting in a new raptor.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from the light grey interior you speak of to black. I took out all the plastics, used Krylon Fusion Matte Black, prepped the plastics just by wet sanding them, then washing them down with water to make sure no dirt and what not were still on there.

For the headliner, visors, back carpet (single cab), and any vinyl, just buy Duplicolor Vinyl and Fabric spray paint.
http://duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

It worked wonders, I think I'm happy the way the truck turned out. The vinyl arm rest for the door, isn't holding the vinyl paint to well, seems after resting my arm on there it's rubbing off.

Basically the only thing not black are my seats and main carpet.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:22 AM
thanks for the info.

any links ya know of for how to get all that stuff out of the truck? Dash seems easy enough but in the back of the cab and such seems like it'd be tricky.
Kinda suprised you can use that on a headliner. Seems like it'd mess that or any other fabric up

Last edited by BradZ; 06-11-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wish I can help on that part, I know on my model it was easy to take out and a pain in the *** to put back in. As for the rear, just popped out all the plastic clips and them came out.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:31 AM
The headliner is actually pretty easy. You can pick up headliner material at any big fabric store.( like joanns fabric) pull the headliner down when you pull out the plastic trim. Pull off the old fabric. Then use a wire brush and brush off any leftover foam.( the material has the foam backing on it already when u buy new.) When u peel off the old it will mainly be just the top layer of fabric.(that why u use the wire brush.) Then lay your new material on the headliner. Fold back half of it. Then use 3 m adhesive spray on the liner itself.(use liberally) lay the fabric back down and smooth with your hand from the center out. Then turn it around and fold back the half without the glue. Repeat the process. Starting in the center. Then use a razor blade and trim it out on the edges.( u can wrap the edges if u want.) Then trim out any holes that are needed.( sunroof and so on.) Most of the openings u may want to wrap. Just look at the factory one before u remove. It will literally take 10 minutes or so once the old fabric is removed. Very easy job. Don't get discouraged. You have 10 bucks in a can of adhesive. And probably 20-30 bucks in material. Cheap and easy. FYI. U don't have to use headliner material but most do. A lot of people are using suede and it looks real nice and installs the same way. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Changing interior colors?