Leather steering wheel restoration

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather steering wheel restoration

My wife's trusty Expedition (Eddie Bauer) has over 180,000 miles and is still in very nice shape inside and out, but the steering wheel which seems as though is made of leather now looking raggedy. The finish looks as though it is wearing away and I'm wondering if this really is leather. It looks as though there is a coating that is coming off as opposed to leather. Has anybody out there actually replaced or re-covered their steering wheel? I figure the standard thing is to go to the parts store and get a $10 fake pull on cover but I'm hoping there is a better alternative.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:42 PM
Some leathers do have a special finish with pigments etc that wear off. You might ask a car upholstry guy for advice.

Old 09-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Technical Article Contributor
I just put on a Wheelskin. It was a pain to install (I still have blisters on nearly all of my fingers), but it looks like it belongs. You can order sample pieces of leather from their website to make sure the color is exactly what you want. Also, you can buy them direct from Wheelskins on eBay for about $10 or $15 less than they have them listed on their website.

http://www.wheelskins.com/index.php

Old 10-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Mine did the same thing in my 02 lariat I found a $10 Wheel cover that matches the interior works for me!

Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 AM
I replaced mine with one from the parts store, too. I am very picky and this one looks great! It is tan and looks like leather. Very thick and tight around the sterring wheel. If you want the steering wheel replaced, check all the salvage yards for one off of a wrecked expedition.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Everyone is right, a wheel cover is your fastest and cheapest way to get it fixed. Im still looking for a good one in a junk yard though. These wheel covers match and look great but they wear out in just a few months and you have to get a new one.

Quick Reply: Leather steering wheel restoration