is it possible to change the color of interior lights? and LED question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it possible to change the color of interior lights? and LED question?

Is there anyway to change the color of all the lights on the dash from the stock green/blue color to another color? i was thinking like a red because i want to do LEDs under the dash eventually and i want to do those red also. how would i change the lights? is it as simple as changeing a bulb benind all the pieces or are the pieces colored that way? and has anyone changed their color? if so, can you post some pictures up?

also, does anyone have a good way to do LEDs? i want it to be a "full coverage" like a neon would be...i dont want like little spot lights. is it best to buy this pre-made from like autozone or is it easy enough to do on my own...i have seen on ebay where they sell the LEDs and the (i think they are called) resistors (correct me if im wrong). but when it comes to wireing...im a complete noob...so if anyone knows how to do this, i would love some help. or even like a wireing diagram or pictures?

thanks a lot for the help

Old 12-01-2008, 10:05 PM
oh and i have a 1997 f150 if that makes a difference. thanks

Old 12-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
talk to ethan aka buckles, he did his and i'd trust him in this category, ask him at a meet sometime or post up on tts.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by coobies5
talk to ethan aka buckles, he did his and i'd trust him in this category, ask him at a meet sometime or post up on tts.
he did this? great to know...that way i know someone i trust. lol thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, no problem

Old 12-02-2008, 01:10 PM
well i talked to him last night and he said it would be hard to change to red because it is colored blue...it comes across kind of green/blue because of the bulb in the back...he said he just put in white bulbs which made it just blue...so i still dont know if i can change it to red...

has anyone out there done this? if so, any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2008, 02:51 PM
The Only Solution that i can think of is to replace your Gauge Face. I did mine and It turned out great, I think it cost about $70 and they came in different colors.

Here is what mine looks like:

Old 12-10-2008, 08:11 PM
how hard is that to do?

and i have already thought about doing that...but i want to change all the dash lights...like the a/c controls also. thats what im having trouble with. i think i might just take off my a/c controld panel this weekend and see for my self what it consists of. maybe i can figure something out.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:07 PM
It's not hard to change the gauge faces but its expensive to get the gauges recalibrated

Old 12-17-2008, 11:18 PM
why would i need to get them recalibrated?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:01 AM
Well when i attempted to do mine, i got everything off than i realized you have to pull off the needles and you can't just put them back on.....can you?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 AM
Well, If you look around there are MANY tut. on how to do it. I did mine the fast way and because of that my speedo displays 5 mph over what the actual speed is. and the temp and pressure gauge are a quarter to high but honestly as long as i know where my gas is and a round about speed i am fine

the way i found my speed is those little sheriff trailers that cops put up with the radar and the speed your going and i just went off that seeing how that is what they see but i have not yet found a way to fix the climate control's green lights nor the Back-light behind the light switch

Old 12-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Question Anyone know where to get the LEDs for the switches and AC?

Originally Posted by Kryptonite.
Well, If you look around there are MANY tut. on how to do it. I did mine the fast way and because of that my speedo displays 5 mph over what the actual speed is. and the temp and pressure gauge are a quarter to high but honestly as long as i know where my gas is and a round about speed i am fine

the way i found my speed is those little sheriff trailers that cops put up with the radar and the speed your going and i just went off that seeing how that is what they see but i have not yet found a way to fix the climate control's green lights nor the Back-light behind the light switch
I could change the color of my switches if I could find a source for the LEDs in the switches. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-31-2008, 02:13 AM
First step in dash color change done!

So tonight i got bored and decided to pull out the A/C switches and see if i could change the colors...and i decided i would give it a try. So here is how i did it.

So first i pulled it out of the truck and took it apart:

(the blue piece at the bottom is what colors it and that goes in the black piece above it, then the clear plastic goes in the black piece also on top of the blue part...it directs the light...and then that whole thing snaps into the white piece)
so the blue part is what you have to change in order to change the color. So i took some plastic that was sort of see through and cut it out using the blue piece as a template and put it in the place of it. it was as easy as that. then i reasemble the whole thing.

now i had to change the color of the dot on the switch. The dot comes out with a firm tap to it with a screwdriver. it pops right out the back. like this:

then i scraped the paint off the plastic part with a razor blade. and then for the lack of better paint on hand, i used nail polish to paint the piece red. it acutally worked out great cause it is more "see through" than regular paint would be. here is a close up of the switch after it is installed:

here is what it looked like before i changed it:

and i changed it:

the only problem is that the blue for the "cold" is not apart of the blue that came out so it had to stay...so now it is sort of a purpleish color. i may work on that and see if i can fix that tomorrow. but it doesnt look too bad. here is a picture of it:

I also went ahead and did the 4x4 selector switch as you can see in the above pictures. I think it looks good and really wasnt that hard to do. Now i just need to go back and fix up a couple things like it is brighter on the drivers side then it is on the passenger side...i need to figure out why it is doing that.

so tomorrow being that im off work i think i am going to work on doing the buttons on the doors for the windows and locks. then if i have time, i might pull out the cluster again and see what i can do with that, if its possible to change the color on that with out buying a new cover piece...plus one of the light bulbs is out by the tachometer...does anyone know if that is the same sort of bulb set up as the A/C control or is it like LEDs in there?

so let me know what yall think and let me know if you have any questions on how i did something. I am always happy to help.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:17 AM
oh and sorry for the poor pictures, only had the phone on hand. i will try to get some better pictures with my camera tomorrow.

Quick Reply: is it possible to change the color of interior lights? and LED question?