The smell of smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The smell of smoke

Ive just purchased a used f150 and the previous owners were heavy heavy smokers. The cab just reeks of stale smoke. What techniques have you all had the best luck with? I was thinking about steam cleaning and replacing the headliner.

Old 09-30-2005, 09:21 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Obviously, a deep cleaning will help but, I think you'll still have issues with odors that are entrapped in the air handling system...

The best thing you can do is find a professional detailer your area and quiz them on having an ozone machine... Some places (mainly very high end) have these units and it'll do a MUCH better job than any type of spray or other disinfectant type of product...

RP

Old 10-01-2005, 02:42 PM
Having once been a heavy smoker, I can attest that the smell is probably permanent. You can clean the seats, carpet and headliner to get some improvement, but you'll likely NEVER get rid of it all. My 96 Dakota still reeks, even though it has been cleaned and cleaned, and not been smoked in for over 3 yrs.

Old 10-06-2005, 03:20 PM
Agreed. You'll never get all of the funk out of it. The smoke has been in every nook and cranny of your dash, door panels, seats, etc.

I bought a year and a half old 97 from a heavy smoker. After steam cleaning twice and cleaning everything else I could get a rag and cleaner on several times, I got most of the smell out... it took months of airing out to completely get rid of the stale smell....but 7 years later there was still brown tar and nicotene that would wick out from behind things I couldn't easily clean and onto the carpet and headliner.

Short of dissassembling the entire interior and giving it a good scrub, I have no idea how you would ever get it all out.

Old 10-09-2005, 09:58 PM
I have had pretty good luck with my truck. I bought it used from a dealer but I told them they had to get rid of the smoke smell before I would buy it. They used some kind of fogger on the interior that sits overnight. Not sure on the details of exactly what they used. May need to contact a detailer. Afterwards the truck smelled like cherry. I used a whole bottle of Febreeze on the entire interior... seats, carpet, headliner, everything. Now, no cherries, and no smoke. Hope that helps.

Old 10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanx for the replies guys. This weekend I scrubbed the interrior and shampoed/febreezed all of the fabric. There is a profound difference now. Still smells like it had been smoked in but not nearly as offensive. I am going to try using an industrial size ozone generator to nix the remainder. Ill let you know how it goes.

Old 10-10-2005, 10:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pardon me for being vague....

In the a/c system, the big box on the firewall under the hood ( plenum? ), there is a plug which can be removed to add a drop or two of dissinfectant which will go through the system and kill bacteria......... you might recearch this......

Old 10-18-2005, 07:51 PM
I work for a dealer and have found 2 good remedies.First open your windows and turn ac on full blast. After 30 seconds or so spray lysol in the interior with the recirc turned on high. Leave ac running with windows up for 10-15 minutes.Now open windows and let ac run with recirc off.The next day place 2 or three sheets of fabric softener under your seats and all should remain ok.

Quick Reply: The smell of smoke