what to do? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2000, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post what to do? HELP!

alright guys, I posted something in here several months ago about cleaning the floors in my cab with the hose. well check this out. I looked last week and I got rust all over the bottom of the seats and on other metallic parts. I was so ticked. the spray mist must have gotten it. anyway, bought some rust converter, it worked well. now the problem is that under the mat the pad got wet and stinks, not to mention the milk my kid spilt that got under there. I removed the plastic pieces from where u step inside the cab and tried to air it out. still get a funky smell. is there a product that will get my truck smelling good again. I even had my wife bake cookies and set them in there for an hour. sprayed cologne on the seats, now I got a funky/cologne smell now.

------------------
1999 Black F-150, Quad, V-6, SPORT.
MODS:Ford Bedliner, SONY CD-CHANGER w/ AMP and POLK Speaks. Cool stickers that make me go fast
Future: Im gonna trick it out.

Old 09-15-2000, 11:42 PM
How about trying one of those products like fabreeze(SP?). Find it in the laundry detergent isle at the grocery store.
Let us know if it works.

Hobbit

Old 09-20-2000, 08:47 AM
Yes, I remember that other thread. I told you this would happen.

Fabreeze will get the smell out of your shoes, wont help the truck much.

Your cookie solution made me crack up! That was the funniest thing Ive ever heard. Im dying over here!

If you want to get rid of the smell, you will need to REMOVE the source. The mat and pad have gotta go. I bother scraping the pad off the mat. Go put it ALL in the dumpster behind K-mart. Time to buy a new one (JC Whitney has em). This will be your lesson learned.

Cookies. <he he> Thats funny.

Old 09-20-2000, 08:21 PM
Unhappy

I warned you too. You're lucky you didn't get some over spray into the electrics too (cab, dash, or door). Yes, the pad is toast. Milk in the extra areas too, what a combo. Vinegar and water, and Baking Soda and water can help with smells. Don't spray it in (just kidding), try a sponge. Good luck !

------------------
2000 F-150 XL,RC,LB,5.4,4R70W,3.55LS,
Class III tow/Payload #3/Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS,Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner & gas/wheel/spare locks,
3" cold air box modification, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back,
3" exit Y-pipe, Hellwig rear anti-sway bar.

Old 09-21-2000, 10:42 AM
On a related note...

A customer of mine called me to shampoo the carpet in her husband's car. The guy had somehow spilled the juice from a can of tuna on the carpet (I didn't ask why he was eating tuna out of a can in the car), anyway he just dabbed at it with a napkin. The next day it stunk like fish, SO HE SPRINKLED SOME COLOGNE ON IT. After I recovered from my fit of laughter she said "The car smelled like a whorehouse!", that made me laugh the rest of the day. The husband's a real nice guy, but he's a bit of a Tim Taylor.

------------------
1999 Lariat Super Cab, S.B. 5.4L, 3.55 LS
and everything but the leaky slider window.
Bright red w/ gold 2-tone, Leather Captain's Chairs
Mods: Duraliner bedliner, Bugflector II, Hide-a-hooks.
& a leeetle chrome tip on the exhaust.

Old 09-22-2000, 12:44 AM
Have you tried at hot water extraction carpet cleaner? You can rent one from most supermarkets.

If that fails, let the carpet dry completely, then sprinkle with baking soda and activated charcoal (NOT the bbq charcoal!). Let it sit for a day or two and vacuum it up. Should lessen the odors.

If even *that* fails, rent an ozone generator and put it in the truck with the windows closed. You may want to get a couple of fans and point them at the carpeted areas in the truck to force the ozone down into the carpet. Ozone will oxidize any organic compounds it comes in contact with. Pay attention to all the warnings about ozone. Don't run it for too long because it will break down rubber and who knows what else.

The last thing is for you to take everything out of the truck and strip out the carpets and padding (if any).

Old 09-22-2000, 08:59 AM
Well as of last weekend everything has dried out and no more smells. Doesnt smell new but maybe some of those stickups will make for a fresh scent when I get in. Here is what the root cause was. the padding underneath on the passenger side had gotten wet, however didnt smell, the part that smelled was if you take off the plastic step guard on the passenger side and lift the vinyl flooring there is a small strip of padding about an inch wide and is about 2 inches away from the main padding. well this strip of pad actually sits under this plastic guard kinda helps seals down the padding. water along with milk was on this strip and this was the odor. Another problem: the sloshing of water on the passenger side after a hose down is solved. got underneath the truck and noticed a nickel size hole with a rubber plug stuck in it. I removed the plug and the nasty smelly water and milk poured on me. problem solved. the drivers side had no plug in it. Not sure why Ford stuck it in the passenger side and not drivers side. Another Bone headed move was hosing it out with a nozel attatched to the hose. thats where the spray and mist hit metal parts. Now I just use the hose with no nozel, making sure the water is only hitting the vinyl flooring. WHEWW!! lesson learned. Thanks for everyones advice.

------------------
1999 Black F-150, Quad, V-6, SPORT.
MODS:Ford Bedliner, SONY CD-CHANGER w/ AMP and POLK Speaks. Cool stickers that make me go fast
Future: Im gonna trick it out.

Old 09-22-2000, 06:49 PM
Didn't realize you didn't have carpets in the truck. Oh well.