Instrument Panel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2000, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Instrument Panel Cover

Looking for a little help. I have a 1999
F-150 Supercab. I need to replace (or clean the inside of) the plastic cover over the instrument panel. I can't get the piece off that contains the headlight switch and air vent so that I can get to the screws on the left side of the instrument panel window. What do I need to do to get it loose? I've removed all the screws I can find to no avail.

Thanks for any help.

------------------

Old 08-10-2000, 08:45 PM
Cool

Woob, here are a few tips for you.

1)Set parking brake.

2) Have you removed the headlight switch?
If not turn the **** all the way to the right and pull out on it, take a small flat blade screwdriver and insert it in the gap that is in the ****,(towards the botom left) at the same time pull out on the **** and it will release itself from the switch. Now put the know back on upside down and rotate it left or counter clockwise while pulling out on the switch, this should remove the switch.

3)Remove the steering wheel surround by pulling up at the bottom from both sides of it, then pull outward on the top part to remove it. You might have to turn on the ignition and put the truck in 1 or 2 to remove the cover.

4) Remove one hex bolt from inside of the dash piece where the headlight switch was removed, then the 3 bolts up top, and 2 from the bottom which should now be exposed from removing the steering wheel cover. Remove the complete assembly.

5)Remove the small pink torx from the plastic housing and remove the housing to clean, reverse the directions to put it all together.

I hope this helps, I am going by memory here!

If you have any questions you may email or call me for help!

------------------

Roger Lemere
F150online.com
Digital Mkt.Place Advisor
DBA Lemere Enterprises
Roger@F150online.com
916-361-2510

Old 08-23-2000, 09:45 AM
Smile

Man, I sure love this website. I almost always find great advice before I go home and break something. I'm guessing that all these dashes are fairly similar (mine's a '97). Thanks Roger!

Old 08-24-2000, 12:41 AM
Question

I have a 1997 and my plastic is cracked. I want to change it. Can I do it myself wihout ruining anything? I was also thinking about installing the white guages while I am in there... anybody have experiences with that? Or should I just take it to a shop and have them do both... if so what kind of shop, upolstry(sp)?
Thanks!!

------------------
1997 F-150
Ext Cab
4x4 w/offroad pkg
towing pkg
4.6L with Auto Trans

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel Cover