Rattle/Vibration from Right Door Panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2000, 01:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Rattle/Vibration from Right Door Panel

I anxiously awaited the arrival of my supercrew. I drove it off the lot and when I hit the freeway, I immediately noticed a vibration/rattle coming from the right doorpanel. I can't tell if the rattle is coming from the front or rear door. It kind of sounds like the door linkage rattling against the door panel. Has anyone else had this experience?
The rattle only seems to happen at freeway speeds.

I am going to schedule an appointment to have the dealer fix the rattle, but I would like to figure out where it is coming from before I have the dealer start ripping the truck apart.

I have considered also using Dynamat or something similiar while the truck is apart.

Any thoughts?

2001 Black Supercrew 4x4 Lariat with every option except captains chairs...
27 Pics:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Album...6849&a=7174254

Old 07-25-2000, 11:08 AM
Red face

I don't have a SuperCrew, but I do have a SuperCab. I have had the truck for about 5 months and have just now started hearing a rattle from the right side. I can't figure out if it is coming from the front or rear door either. It's pretty minor, so I probably will not take it to the dealer. However, if you do find something out let me know and maybe I'll work on it myself.

Old 07-25-2000, 06:59 PM
Lightbulb

I also have the supercab and experienced the same problem. I took the rear door panels off and tightened everything up, especially the handle. I also installed sound deadener throughout the entire truck. This fixed the problem for me. If its a minor rattle, this may work for you as well.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab Black factory stepbars Flareside Sport Package Oxford White Full tint - all windows. Bug Shield CD player 17" wheels, K&N Air Filter, Ford Soft Tonneau Cover, Gibson Super Truck, "Did it myself" Undercoating, Herculiner, Image Tailight Covers, SUPERCHIP

Stereo Mods:
Clarion Pro Audio SRC5752s mounted in the front, tweeters mounted above arm rests.
Kenwood KFC-577Cs mounted in the rear doors.
B-Quiet sound dampening installed in all doors, three layers on rear wall, and entire floor board done as well.

"Freak on a Leash"

If you've ever purchased online, please visit my new site and post your experience: Online purchasing experiences good and bad.

Click here to get a FREE Sample of the best Sound Dampening Product Ever!

Old 07-25-2000, 09:11 PM
Spyder207,
How much B-Quiet did you use to do your truck? I see they have a new product that is painted on. Did you use the mat or the paint on product.

How did you soundproof the doors? Did you put a full sheet across the back of the door panel?

Old 07-26-2000, 12:10 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well this morning on my way to work I heard a rattle for the first time from the right side door pannle on my truck I had it about 8.5 months and just over 12,500 miles. The only differance is mine is a reg cab from your supercabs and supercrew so it must be something in the front door.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT Reg. cab
4.6 Triton Engine
4x2 3.55 rear end gear
sliding rear window
automatic keyless entry
white styleside short box

[This message has been edited by hmustang (edited 07-26-2000).]

Old 07-26-2000, 09:28 PM
Cool

I also recently started noticing a rattle from the right side. Have not been able to locate what it is. Just showed up after my last trip to N.C. Thought my son dropped some change down there, but haven't been able to find anything. Also a regular cab.
Jeff

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat 4X2
Reg cab Short box Styleside
5.4L 3.55ls
Deep Wedgwood Blue/Silver
Lund Interceptor hood shield
VentVisors
Class III hitch
Ford molded mud guards
Soft tonneau cover
Factory CD with changer (thanks Dusty)
Tinted windows
Factory fog light kit

http://www.fortunecity.com/silversto...ton54home.html

Old 07-31-2000, 03:47 AM
Update on the rattle/vibration...

I recently removed the front door panel in search of the rattle. No luck...

I now think the rattle/vibration may be coming from the exhaust system. I had the truck running in the driveway today and I heard the rattle coming from underneath... It sounds like it is coming from the muffler... I almost sounds like a rock or a piece of metal bouncing around in the muffler. When I rev the engine the sound seems to stop but as soon as it returns to idle the sound starts again.

I tried kicking the tailpipe a few times and the rattle is there.

I think the sound is resonating through the floorboards and that is why I thought it was coming from the right door.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-02-2000, 07:05 PM
Talking

The dealer found the rattle/vibration!!!

I took the mechanic for a ride and he too swore the rattle was coming from the right door.
The rattle/vibration was actually coming from the exhaust. There was some shielding that was loose and sending the vibration directly up into the cab.

They tightened up the shielding and presto!!! Piece and quiet at last.

Old 08-02-2000, 10:36 PM
Thumbs up

joegoodrich,

I used an about 70 sq. ft. on my truck. I used the factory plastic liners as templates to cut the material for my doors.

I still have some left and will probably use it on the rear of the cab when I install some subs and amps back there.

------------------
1999 F-150 XLT Supercab Black factory stepbars Flareside Sport Package Oxford White Full tint - all windows. Bug Shield CD player 17" wheels, K&N Air Filter, Ford Soft Tonneau Cover, Gibson Super Truck, "Did it myself" Undercoating, Herculiner, Image Tailight Covers, SUPERCHIP

Stereo Mods:
Clarion Pro Audio SRC5752s mounted in the front, tweeters mounted above arm rests.
Kenwood KFC-577Cs mounted in the rear doors.
B-Quiet sound dampening installed in all doors, three layers on rear wall, and entire floor board done as well.

"Freak on a Leash"

If you've ever purchased online, please visit my new site and post your experience: Online purchasing experiences good and bad.

Click here to get a FREE Sample of the best Sound Dampening Product Ever!

Old 08-07-2000, 04:37 PM
I had a rattle coming from the passager side of my 97 F-150 supercab just after 12000 miles. I took it back to the dealer and they determined that it was the power door actuator rivet. I thought this was hard to believe since it sounded like it was coming from the rear door. It was quite for another 15000 miles and then it came back. I then took matters into my own hands. I removed the rivet and replaced it with a 1/4" x 1/2" bolt with a lock washer and lock nut. It has been gone for 55,000 miles. So far so good. I know it sounds goofy but give it a try. It sure beats that noise.

Quick Reply: Rattle/Vibration from Right Door Panel