Leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2000, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Leather seats

I too have had a bad experience with my grey leather seats in my 1998 F-150. the truck has 47,000 miles on it, it is not even 2 yrs old yet and I tried to get the dealer to replace AT LEAST the driver's side before the warranty was up, b/c of bad cracking, fading, etc... but i had no luck there. You'd think for $30,000+ price tag that ford could use some good quality leather. I was actually wondering if anyone knew how much replacement leather would cost (aftermarket)to have put in, b/c seeing as to how i will have the truck for another 2 yrs, I don't want it looking like crap. Thanks for your info!!

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 01-31-2000, 03:59 PM
Shortly after getting my '97 Lariat, I noticed the paper thin crap Ford calls leather. I also noticed, (to my dismay) that the rear seat, seatbacks etc. are vinyl.
After talking to my dealer about this problem I was told, in the nicest possible way, "Too bad so sad, bye bye".
I was passing an auto upolostery (sp?) shop recently, so I swung in. To get the entire truck redone in leather, including the Lariat embroidery and including all the seat backs, rear seat etc. would cost $1,500.00 CDN so about $1,000 US should get it done. Keep in mind that was all of it. I would take a guess at 1/3 that $ to do the front seating surfaces only.
Bruce

------------------
'97 F-150 Lariat,4.6, S/C, 4X4, SB, 17"wheels, no mods.

Old 01-31-2000, 07:00 PM
I was thinking about putting leather in my truck.My friend who owns a Auto seat cover place said the the kit for a regular cab costs about $600.00.I don't know how much it would be for a SC.

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 4.6V8 regcab/shortbed
Oxford White with Wedgewood Blue two tone, with Blue Captains chairs
Bassani Cat Back, Superchip,Modified intake with modified K&N filter.

Old 02-03-2000, 08:06 PM
ORP,

I have a very good service manager at my ford dealership. He agreed that at 12k miles.. my seat bottoms shouldn't look like they do (Ford can do better then this) so he ordered new covers for the bottoms under warranty. The problem was .. the new ones are pleated along the seam .. which I hate .. and they are made from ever thinner leather. He could not get the covers that they put in the 1998's just the 2000 ones ... It is even a different looking leather. I pondered a bit and went to visit a good upholstery guy I know. He wrote a estimate to make new bottoms that would match the uppers. He will use better leather and said it will look great. The cool thing is my dealer will pay him the 600 bucks to make it right for me. This could be because Ford superceded the 1998 leather with some other crap ... and also because I have only 12k miles on it. Anyway I have my fingers crossed. I just bought a 2000 Explorer for my wife and guess what ... NO WAY DID I BUY LEATHER !!!!

Good Luck
Russ

...... o&^o Share the Road

------------------
1998 F-150 Lariat S/C 4x4 5.4L Line-x

Old 02-03-2000, 11:50 PM
I can understand you not going for the leather on your 2000 explorer!! I came so close to ordering an XLT when I got mine, simply to aviod the constant leather cleaning/conditioning and to also avoid any problems like I have now w/ cracking and it looking terrible. I guess I will just have to have my seats replaced if they get to be too bad. I love the cloth in the ford trucks, but the only problem is that any odor that gets in the truck is nearly impossible to get out b/c it seems like it just clings to the cloth upholstry. just my $.02

------------------
TRUCK: 1998 F-150 S/c, ORP, Lariat, 4.6L V8, auto, Dark toredor red/silver, 60/40 bench, Grey leather
MODS: diamond plated UWS tool box with rails, bedliner, bedmat, custom "true dual" exhaust, heavy duty tow package, tinted front glass, bug shield, husky floor liners for front and rear

Old 02-20-2000, 11:55 AM
Thumbs down

I have a 98 with 40K and my bottom cover on the drivers side loooks like crap. It is a mystry how 30 grand buys some poor quality sometimes. Oh, every time I clean my interior I use Meguires leather cleaner and conditioner and it appears to have made no difference from others I have seen.

------------------
98 F-150 Lariat, Extended Cab,
5.4L, K&N Filter,
Auto, 4 Wheel ABS, Burgundy/Silver,
Gray Leather,
Bedliner,CD/6 Changer
Tow Pkg, Signal Mirrors,
Tinted Windows,
Goodyear Wranglers,
Wolf Bra & Hood Trim

Old 02-20-2000, 09:44 PM
Thumbs down

Have the cloth captains chairs, and boy am I happy about it. And just so you know...my last car was a 94 Corvette with leather seats, and they weren't much better. The leather cracked at 40K, was stitched poorly and not supple at all. I went to an upholsterer to inquire about re-doing my seats ONLY in Connolloy leather and they wanted $2500!!!!!

------------------
1999 F-150 4x4 SuperCab, Deep Wedgewood Blue, ORP, 4-Wheel ABS, Loaded, Flowmaster 50 series, K&N, Tint, Super-White headlights, Westin Nerf Bars, Toff Spray-On Bedliner, Pioneer DEH-P3000 and TS-A6815 speakers, ADS PQ/8 amp.

Old 02-20-2000, 10:49 PM
INDIGO,
$2500 is outrageous!!! I haven't actually checked on having mine redone yet, but at the rate they are going, 2 yrs from now they will look absolutely terrible. My dad has a 1995 suburban with tan leather, the truck has almost 100,000 miles on it and the leather looks pretty good for that many miles. It is obvious to me that GM definately puts better leather in their trucks, I wish ford would catch on. I came so close to odering an XLT for the cloth upholstery, but I know that they'd be stained beyond belief by now if I had done that.

------------------

Old 02-21-2000, 02:51 PM
I didn't like the looks of mine in the beginning either. I've started to apply a conditioner w/ lanolin every month or so and the difference is huge! The new car scent is also maintained. I've had leather seats before (a gm car) and if you don't maintain them, I can guarantee you won't be happy down the road.

------------------
'99 Lariat Supercab 4x4 SS
5.4L, 3.73 Diff (9.75" LSD Rear, 8.8" Front)
ORP: Skid Plates, LT265/70R17 GY Wrang. AT/S
Group III towing: HD Electrical/Cooling, GVWR 6500# (Extra leaf spring).
Step Bars
4W Disc anti-lock brakes
K&N filter
Stock Items That Differ Across F150s: Steel Driveshaft, Oil filter bolted to engine w/ drip guard, 4R70W transmission.

Old 02-21-2000, 02:52 PM
Thumbs down

Hi ..

I am getting new leather bottoms next week.
I am having them done by a auto leather shop and covered under warranty because the 2000 leather covers that Frod offered are even worse. The guy is charging $550 and Ford said that is about what they would have into the replacements. I will let you know how it turns out. I amhaving the guy beef up the foam in the area of the outside drivers seat.

Take Care
Russ

.......o&^o Share the Road

------------------
1971 F-250 Camper Special Alaskan Camper
1998 F-150 Lariat S/C 4x4 5.4L Line-x
2000 Explorer XLT Mach Audio SOHC

Quick Reply: Leather seats