Autolamp problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-1999, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Autolamp problem

I am posting this to see if anybody is having the same problem I am with my F150. I have the autolamp system in my truck and nearly every morning my interior lights don't come on. They work fine when the autolamp system is off. The service manager at my dealership is also having the same problem with his F150. He told me that they ordered a new control module for his, took two weeks for it to get there, and then it only fixed it for two days. He said Ford has a service rep. coming down next week too take a look at his. I thought I would see if anybody else was having this problem with their autolamp system.

Old 10-01-1999, 04:14 PM
I have noticed the same problem with my 2000 F-150. Until you mentioned the autolamp thing, I couldn't figure out why sometimes the interior lights come on, and sometimes they don't. I guess I'll have to bring it up to the dealer.

------------------
2000 F-150 Lariat 5.4L 3.55 S/C SB ORP, Towing Package, Powr-Slider, Custom Paint(Waldoch), Gibson SS dual exhaust.

Old 10-01-1999, 07:56 PM
Cool

I have a similar problem, although mine is limited to varying duration that the interior lights will stay on after I open the door. Sometimes they stay on long enough to get the key in the ignition, and sometimes they turn off as soon as I shut the door... Will be seeing the dealer on this one if it continues...

------------------
99 F-150 4x2 S/C, 5.4L, Lariat, Black / Gold, 3.55 l/s, Tonneau, Ford Duraliner, small salt and pepper schnauzer named Burnee...more to come!!

Old 10-01-1999, 08:16 PM
pat
my 1999 lariat w/autolamp would'nt shut off the headlights.took it in & had something replaced,now occasionaly the time to turn off the lights seem's to vary ,as to time.think this is where KISS came from. pat

Old 10-02-1999, 11:36 AM
I don't know if any of you are having this problem or not but sometimes when I have the problem with the interior lights my power windows don't work either. My service manager also said that he had the same problem with his. If y'all find anything out from your service guys please let me know.

Old 10-30-1999, 03:51 PM
I don't have the autolamp system, but I do have the problem of my interior lights not going on. It's usually in the morning when I go to work, they don't go on for one to 15 seconds, then they work okay. Also, besides the interior lights not going on, the lights on the rear of the cab don't go on, and I can't turn on the interior lights with the dash switch. Haven't had a chance to get the truck into the dealer yet.

------------------

Old 11-18-1999, 08:01 PM
I had problems with my interior lights not going out after I turned the ignition on, or when I left the vehicle. The battery saver relay frequently wound up turning them off. The dealer replaced some relays in the doors....took the technician a couple of hours to figure it out. Whatever happened to the simple spring loaded switches????

I also had the problem with the autolamp switch (headlights stayed on even in fairly bright light.) The sensor in the dash had to be replaced. It was a special order...took a couple of weeks. So far, it seems to be working. BTW, only have 30000 on the truck.

1997 F250 LD, SC, XLT, 5.4, 2 WD.

Old 11-18-1999, 09:52 PM
Hi guys I talked to my service manager a few days ago and he said that they replaced some kind of computer control module in his truck and it fixed it for a few days but then it started doing it again. He said that they were having a Ford rep. come down to look at his and try to find the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Old 01-05-2000, 12:53 AM
Question

Since we do not have an electrical forum yet I am bringing back this topic. Hopefully, someone will see it.

On Christmas evening I was driving home from an Xmas party on a two lane road with my lights on using the autolamp. Without any warning my lights shut off for about 2 seconds and then came back on. There were at least 3 cars approaching me at the time but none immediately near me on my side of the road. I quickly pulled over and switched the lights over to manual. I have not had any problems with the lights since but I have not used the autolamp setting either. The only thing I can think of is that the oncoming car lights somehow triggered the autolamp sensor. Has anyone else had this problem? I am not sure if it is related but the overhead outside temperature gauge went from about 28 to around 22 degrees (F) in the course of a mile or so at the same time as the light failure.

------------------

2000 F150 Lariat 4X2, 5.4 w/ 3.55 LS,
Amazon Green, Medium Parchment, tow package,
sliding rear window w/ F150.com sticker,
Ford bug deflector, Sportmasters hinged tonneau.

[This message has been edited by bryant (edited 01-04-2000).]

Old 01-05-2000, 08:43 AM
Bryant,

Correct me if I am wrong but the auto lamp feature once it turns the lamps on for a while (after a couple of minutes I think)it should leave them on with out regaurd to the light sensor until the key is off for enough time for the delay timer to turn them off? You know, the delay roller wheel you set for this. If they were to go off every time you passed a car this would be dangerous ansd I am sure they are not designed that way. I will double check on this but I think something is wrong with yours. My 97 has never done this and it is 4 years old now. Get it checked out.

------------------
97 F-150 SC Lariat, Styleside, White over Gold, 4.6L (Windsor), Automatic, 3.55 rear end, electronic 4X4, w/ every option of Lariat and ORP packages except the 17" wheels (I even got the OR decals now!), MOD's so far: K&N air box mod, Gibson Super Truck, clear Bugflector II, Leer TSC 600 hard cover, Bridgestone Dueler OWL ATP 265/75 R-16's, TrailMaster Invader N7 shocks, Smittybilt step bars, Ford moulded mud guards, "White-white" head lamps, Cloud Rider Design's SS Grill and bumper opening "Summer Grill's", Bosch platinum + 4's.

Old 01-05-2000, 03:30 PM
Lightbulb

I think the delay is only used when you shut the ignition off. My lights come on when I go into covered parking structures and off when I come out, in fact they've come on and off under heavy cloud cover; however there's usually a delay going on and off.
I don't think the oncoming lights should have affected the autolamp unless they were either very bright or the sensor was exposed for a long time (10 seconds or so). Not only that but I believe the sensor faces up so oncoming traffic shouldn't affect it at all, unless something on the windshield is reflecting the light down to the sensor.

Old 01-05-2000, 09:52 PM
Greetings all!!

Question: Does anyone know where the autolamp sensor is? On my dad's '99 Explorer Eddie Bauer (which has every gadget and toy imaginable), the light sensor is behind the rear-view mirror. He can set the autolamp function to turn on the lights at whatever "degree" of darkness he likes via a rheostat type dial.

Steve

2000 4X4 Lariat SC SB
Two tone black/silver
All options except LS differential

MODS so far:

-Westin step bars (powder coated matte black)
-Lund bug shield
-Gentex electrochromatic rear view mirror
-Cabin Air Filtration Kit

MODS to come:

-Superchip (of course!!)

-K&N or AirAid air plenum/filter (can't decide yet which one to get)

-Flowmaster Force II exhaust (series 50 SUV with duals out the rear)

-Mickey Thompson Classic 16" wheels with 305/75 BFG AT KO's

-4.10 gears (still thinking about this one ...anyone have any input?)

-LS diff or locker of some sort once they are available..

Old 01-06-2000, 05:29 PM
TSSCS, on the '99 and earlier models, the sensor is on the top of the dash, somewhat below the rear view mirror. It's under the little "vent" in the dash. The opening is about 1" square. Not sure about the 2k models.

Quick Reply: Autolamp problem