Musty smell from defrosters

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-1999, 10:14 PM
wjt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Musty smell from defrosters

I searched the forum for this, didn't come up with anything useful. Someone had mentioned spraying Lysol into the ventilation intakes. I've done that, sprayed so much of that stuff through the air vents by the wipers that it would make you sick. Seemed to have solved the musty odor, but it's coming back again strong.

So, is there a better way to get rid of the smell? I never run Max AC, so moisture being trapped from recirculation of air is not the culprit.

There HAS GOT to be a place in the ventilation system where water is either pooling and/or dampening in the ducts, subsequently leading to the mildew smell problem. I'd rather not continue to "cover up the funk" with spray, instead, I'd like to find the problem, and improvise a fix to keep it from recurring. C'mon you all, what would you do?

------------------
1999 F150 4x4, dark blue, 5.4l auto, Manick brush guard, KC Hilites, tinted windows, K&N air filter without airbox, Gibson side swept exhaust, bedliner, toolbox, Uniden CB with whip, and now, an appointment with Dr Ford for open heart surgery (to replace a Piston Slap'in Engine)...

Old 11-21-1999, 08:33 AM
Thumbs up

I think with most of us, the smell does go away with "time"!!! But I can remember having it when the truck was new. To make it less, I would turn the AC to "panel" a minute or so before I was going to turn off the truck. This seemed to dry it out more and not have the "smell" as bad the next time I ran the air. I'm in the south and you just have to run on max AC to stay comfortable.

Old 11-25-1999, 08:54 PM
BG makes a product called "Frigifresh". Turn your A/C to MAX and blower on high. Spray liberally into the inlet. This spray actually kills the fungus growing in the box. It also works as an air freshener. It works great!

------------------
'98 4.6 5-sp F-150
We've come for your Tundra.

http://www.mcmullenargus.com/gallery...ge=1165&pub=12
trixters-playground@excite.com
www.truckinweb.com

Old 11-25-1999, 10:54 PM
Cool

The musty smell plagues all vehicles with R134a. Not sure why but I have seen a lot of new cars and trucks with this problem. BG does have the "frigifresh", and it works. Give it a try, you may have to go to your local dealer to get it though.

------------------
stock 98 XL, Reg. cab,4.6, Auto, Tow package, 255/70R16 on styled steel wheels,3.55LS, Black with chrome grille and bumpers! MODS: custom stereo by me, building speaker box was a !@#$%. K&N air filter w/ airbox mod, a complete keyless entry system.

Old 11-25-1999, 11:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Why are you running the A/C in November?
Is it that hot where you live or is the smell still lingering from last summer?

Old 11-26-1999, 05:59 AM
Thumbs down

Hey all,

Was glas to see this topic being discussed. I have been a little off-put by both the piston slap, and now the worst of all smells coming through my A/C system whenever the compressor is on. I will be discussing this with the dealer replacing my engine.

I have been thouroughly inspecting as much of the ventilation system as I can. I can't find any moisture or residue. No visble evidence of mold or mildew. Unfortunately, You can only go so far without tearing the whole dash out of your truck.

Does anyone know if smells in the ventilation system are covered by the warranty?

Thanks for the topic, I personally thought I was going nuts.

Ender sends......

------------------
1999 F150 S/C 5.4L ORP, AMAZON GREEN, WESTIN NERF'S, K&N FILTERS, KENWOOD 7011 W/ INFINITY KAPPA SPEAKERS

Old 11-26-1999, 10:32 AM
JD
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada (originally from Kearny, New Jersey)
Unhappy

Well I'm glad to see something on this subject. I've notice the smell when turning the A/C on.

At first I thought man's best friend had an accident sometime in the truck and I didn't catch it, that bad! But I realized it couldn't be that, it only happens when I turn the A/C on for the first few minutes.

------------------
99 F250XLT Supercab LD
5.4L 3.73 LS
White/Silver
Graphite interior
6 CD changer/Captain's Chairs

Old 11-26-1999, 06:03 PM
Hello: Does the odor get worse if you lift your arm? Just kidding.

If your truck is several years old, its possible the airconditioning drain hose is pluged up and not allowing it to drain out the moisture removed by the aircondidioning. Then the moisture builds up inside the ducts and you get alge and fungus and bad smells.

Also, I have heard of dead mice getting stuck in duct work. Thats a bad smell.

Find the hose drain for the air conditioning under the truck and blow some low pressure air back up into the hose and see if that wont dislodge the stuff and let it drain out. Sometimes you have to remove the duct work to get at a plug up.

I do think I have seen products to eliminate the smell, but first get rid of the cause.

[This message has been edited by insect2 (edited 11-26-1999).]

Quick Reply: Musty smell from defrosters