How to fix???

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to fix???

Not a big thing, but when I got my new (to me) 02 Screw home from the dealer, I noticed that the push/pull cupholder that is in the dash has been pushed in waaay to far, like the last person that had it had a passenger that banged it with their knee, and now it is stuck. Can this be pulled out somehow and made to work properly again, or is the dealer going to have to maybe order a new one to replace it?

Old 04-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Just wondering if you ever found a resolution to this...

I have the same problem...

Here's what happened...

There is a spring/clip on the back of the cup holder that is held on with really cheap plastic screw type things. Those plastic screw things broke, which caused the spring/clip to fall off inside the dash area.

You can drill the spring/clip back in with a screw...but I can't figure out how to remove the cupholder.

Did you ever get it fixed?

Old 04-06-2006, 08:13 PM
I found out how to fix it but I just haven't got around to do it yet. There are two tabs that you have to get to above the cupholder and with a thin screwdriver, you have to push them down while gently pulling back on the cupholder while pushing down on the tabs. I got my cupholder to come out by using the blade of a pocket knife to very carefully work it away from the dash. Once you get it to slide out, you will need a small flashlight to see the two tabs. Pull the cupholder gently towards you while pressing down on one tab, then the other tab, then it should slide right out. You will be able to feel each side release as the tabs disengage. When it's out, you should be able to find the spring. It should be laying down in the cubbyhole area. Use the flashlight and you should find it. Don't forget to look for the small metal roll pin that slips over the plastic pin that is part of the cupholder assembly. It should be found where the spring is. You can reattach that roll pin with some loctite. If you look into the opening that the cupholder goes into, you can see the plastic pin pointing down. To reattach the spring, just drill the plastic melt tabs away and secure it with screws, nuts, and lockwashers. Then just align the pin in the housing to be straight and slide the cupholder in. It should work fine after all of that.
Hope that helps.
Reloader

Quick Reply: How to fix???