Mounting switches in the dashboard... where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mounting switches in the dashboard... where?

Howdy do, folks. Found this forum, realised it's gonna be invaluable for information, and I'ma start my learning process by asking about mounting switches.

I wanna add flood lamps, backup lights, and neon lighting inside the cap of my '03 F150 Supercrew. So I just got back from getting good quality illuminated switches for all three setups. Problem is... where's a safe place to start drilling?

I was gonna use a bunch of those cheap little plastic plates to mount each switch, but realised it's gonna look chinsy. So I'm flush-mounting the three switches right onto the plastic of the dashboard. But I wanna place it somewhere convenient and easy to get to, while still being able to wire it up and not interfere with all the fun doodads and shenanigans behind the dash. I wanna mount it either:

A. Between the cigarette lighter/power point and the pop out cup holders

B. Underneath the pop out cup holder on the bottom section of plastic dash moulding

I guess I should post a pic and circle it, but I can't upload images to my webspace until I figger out why ftp seemed to cease working this weekend. But I'm sure someone knows where I'm talking about.

So which of these is a more practical place to route all the wiring?

Thanks,

Bryan

Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to f150online.com! We're glad to have you aboard...

Secondly, everyone here will tell you that I'm one of the world's worst (if not 'the' world's worst) guy with electrical gagetry but, I have installed a switch or two in my time (with a fairly good success rate I might add).

Personally, I like the look of the switches beneath the light switch. Further, I found it very easy to find common grounds and power in that area as well.

I'm not sure if your truck has power pedals but, pulling illumination power out of that mix is a nice touch so that your switches glow with the lights on (if they're backlit switches). Further, routing wire around in that area is pretty easy as you can go down and under the door threshold to the rear of the truck or, back under the steering column if you want to stay on the front end...

Just a suggestion...

RP

Old 12-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mount them on the cowling that goes around the sterring column. There's plenty of room behind it and if you mount them right the steering wheel will keep the light from shinning in your eyes at night.

Old 12-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for the switches themselves, look for Mustang or Ranger fog lamp switches. They are the same shape/size as the window/door lock switches so they look very stock. And they are illuminated.

As far as where, RP mnetioned a great spot, a another alternative may be the area imediately to the right of the steering column.A while ago a member here had pics of the switches in that area and they looked pretty good.

Old 12-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm...

Right next to the steering column.... I'ma go sneak out to the car for a minute...

Quick Reply: Mounting switches in the dashboard... where?