04 F150 seats.... TORTURE DEVICES

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 F150 seats.... TORTURE DEVICES

I just bought my first NEW Ford product ever. New 2004 F150 XL and I love everything about it except for the headrests. The guy that designed these must have been a sadist. The headrests force my head down and it is unbearable for a drive of any duration. Obviously, I did not take a long enough test drive! lol My daily commute is 70 miles one-way and it is unbearable to leave the headrest in. I have been driving without it, but that brings some safety issues. I tried reversing the headrest (installed backward) and that does treat my neck better, but the bottom of the headrest protrudes further than the seat back and is painful across the upper shoulders.

Everyone I have spoken to in person (04 owners) agrees that the headrests are poorly designed from an ergonomic aspect, but I can find no reference online to anyone with similar experience.

All that being said, I have two questions:

Is anyone else experiencing the some discomfort?

Does anyone know where I can buy an after-market headrest?

Old 07-06-2004, 02:57 PM
just a thought

my mother bought a 02 escape, the seats were so hard and uncomfy, i took off the seat cover, took a turkey slicer and cut away some of the foam, we then took it to a custom auto apuhstery?(cant spel) shop, they re did the seats for like 1 hundred dollors, they look great and feel good, try and do that find a reputable shop and see what they can do

Old 07-07-2004, 12:37 AM
While they aren't the greatest seats in the world, I haven't had any complaints (or heard any on this board) about the headrests. I literally don't even know they are there unless I intentionally lean my head back. Does the XL have different headreasts than other models and if so can you switch them out? Go drive some other trucks and see if the same thing happens, it might be somekind of mounting problem.

Old 07-07-2004, 08:53 AM
As far as I have been able to discover, the XL and XLT's with the split bench have the same seats and headrests. I am sure that Lariat of yours is the epitome of living-room comfort.

As I mentioned, other owners of 04's have similar comments, but I can find nothing mentioned on any boards. I am probably more sensitive to the issue due to my monster commute.

I hope someone comes up with a replacement headrest soon or I will be forced to buy a whole new seat.....

Old 07-08-2004, 07:15 AM
See if the dealer would mind taking a tubing bender on the metal tubes. My Ply Voyager had the same issue and I used a tubing bender on it.

Old 07-08-2004, 11:20 AM
how far back is your head?

I just completed a long trip (8 hours each way) and found the seats and head rest very comfortable.

Remember, these days the headrest is less about resting your head and more of an anti-whiplash device.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:40 PM
In any position other than very reclined, the headrest is pushing my head forward. Maybe I should adopt the 'detroit lean' style of driving! lol

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2004, 07:42 AM
I agree wholeheartedly. I just bought a 2004, and have driven a bunch of them prior to the purchase. The headrests do cant too far forward, putting awful strain on the neck. I found that by reclining the seat a bit, that helped matters a great deal.

I pick up the truck on Monday, so I'll post more if I come up with better solutions. The seats are a weak point in the new truck.

Chris

Old 08-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Uncomfortable headrest

Just bought a 04 SuperCab Lariat. Headrest does not bother me but bothers my wife's neck. Truned both backwards and she's ok with that. If that's what makes her happy then I can live with the headrest turned around.

Old 09-03-2004, 09:18 PM
I just bought an 04 Supercab XLT three weeks ago, and I actually like the headrest. I can see what you mean about it being forward though, becuase I noticed it is the only head rest I can touch with my head while driving and be comfortable. I'm 5'8" so someone taller may have a problem with the headrest.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:48 AM
i second what j150 said. they are not made to rest your head on when driving. they are more of a safety feature. i see people doing that all the time. i think for some it's that they look cool driving with there head tilted back and one hand on the wheel. i for the life of me, can't understand how in the heck you can drive like that. your head is tilted up and you have to force yourself to look down at the road. if these were meant to be used to drive then semi's would have them on there seats. we drive those for hours on end and there is no way you could do that and pay attention to the road, let alone check the mirrors. did you try turning the headrest around ? ( I haven't seen one so i'm just stabbing in the dark here) i know the 2003 you can accidently place them in backwards if your not carefull maybe that would work. good luck, maybe bending them like suggested might be a good solution for you.

Last edited by sgauthier; 09-08-2004 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: 04 F150 seats.... TORTURE DEVICES