Broke my lumbar support again...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Broke my lumbar support again...

When I first got my 2001 with manual lumbar support, it broke and they replaced the seat no problem. Well now I'm under extended warranty w/ $100 deductible. I pulled the seat cover up and found the broken part...it's pretty weak and I'm sure this is somewhat of a common issue. Has anyone fixed it themselves or is it not as common as I had thought. Seems to just pop one day and that's that...

Old 02-24-2004, 01:49 AM
omg..... I thought I was the only one... My lumbar has been worked on 4 times now... and I have to tell you its a very bad issue with me and ford.......
How long has it been since your repair.. if under a year or 12k... it will be free to rework and you should not be charged your deductable...(so they told me)
whatever you do... dont admit to working on it.... I have been told that is the out for ford to say that you tampered with it and caused the damage that led to the failure. My dealer didnt admit to working on other units... but was very inquisitive about what I did or didnt do myself...(the service manager later told me of the memo outlining the do it yourself = no claim)
good luck... and dont let em slip one up yours........

Old 02-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Hahaha...alright so we're not alone afterall. Well, it's been probably 2 years now so I'll have to wait until I can rack up some more warranty repairs. I doubt that my Ford Extra Care ESP will cover this though. Only reason I purchased this one is for the motor and the junk mazda 5-speed which has been giving me one hell of a time lately, but it always clears up after some time. Thanks for the info man!!!

Old 02-24-2004, 09:20 AM
Oh yea......... I have the ESP and now at 40k, they did the last repair last month and covered it under my esp...... just fight them.... and dont let them tell you " its not a mechanical failure" duhhhh yea it is........ its been my experience that if one dealer wont fix it... that others will just to get the repair business... so you may be able to shop it around and get it done....

good luck.

Old 02-24-2004, 09:33 AM
you guys have broken the seat lumbar support......?
just curious:
1. are you constantly adjusting between multiple drivers?
2. what's your height/weight?

Old 02-24-2004, 09:38 AM
I never adjust mine... its just a piece of junk... the part that continues to fail is the roller mech and the cable inside... it squeaks and chirps then fails.. im just settled that its a poor design... at this moment... they have rigged the thing with a section of thermal wrap (like they use on the pipes around your exhaust manifolds)covering the entire cable in order to keep the cable from rubbing and failing... im sure it will again fail and ill be back.
im 6' and 225........

Old 02-24-2004, 11:50 AM
Hahaha...I have 40K as well, and I am 6'2" 210lbs. I only turn it 2 1/2 - 3 complete turns out. The only thing I can think is that I put a lot of weight in it when I straighten out to retrieve my wallet from my back pocket. The part that failed on mine was a small pot metal looking piece that had two 90 degree angles put in it from the factory, but the bends are obviously stressed. My cable was fine. If I knew where this piece was suppose to go / how it worked, I'd have a piece made from Ti. and I'd fix it myself. All I can see is that my cable isn't held to the plastic piece by anything...it slides into place in the plastic end but nothing keeps it there.

Quick Reply: Broke my lumbar support again...