Cabin Air filtration Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Usmcjwg
How do I know if my 2001 screw has an air filter from the factory?
Hope this answers your question...

You'll have to have a look up under the dash on the passenger side. There will either be a frame with 4 screws covering the slot the air filter goes into (between the firewall and that cover in the video below) in which case lucky you, that is the dealer installed option, or there will be a molded piece of plastic blocking the slot the air filter goes into and unlucky you, get ready for some cramped cutting if you want it. Nah, it's not really too bad a job, go slow and it shouldn't take a half hour.

This video (from the linked thread above) is a good guide. Mine didn't have that extra cover to remove at the start (missing? wrong year?).

I found it next to impossible to see what I was doing up there. Tried a mirror and flashlight but ended up just having a good look (with the mirror and flashlight, couldn't fit my big head under there for a direct look) and then cutting by feel once I had the blade lined up on the outside of the groove.

The plastic is thin but tough there, I made about 3 passes with a sharp blade before I got through and was able to make the cut.

Once it was out actually getting the filter in there is tight as well, those pleats in the filter frame help but it still drags on the floor a bit as you slide it up and in.

Originally mine seemed to be staying there fine just from the friction fit, but I've noticed it slipping a bit now so I'll have to go with the duct (not "Duck" brand) tape (the metallic silver stuff) or make myself a cover plate.

Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by far-trader
Thanks for the confirmation Alfred, I suspected it was a case of smushed That's next on my list now that spring has finally sprung and I can work on the truck without freezing.
No problem. Took a while to get to this, since I was on a plant turnaround back then...but, glad it is working for you.

I wonder what is up with your filter? Mine hasn't slipped. I ought to check it, though, since it has just passed a year of use.

Last edited by AlfredB18; 06-07-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by Portagie1968
Thank you. Wish they would fit on a 2004 F350.
You should be a pioneer and figure out where and how to fit one in those trucks.

I hit up Crown Vic forums on occasion and one guy scratched out a kit for them on his own. No idea if they are in mass production yet, though...

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...2654445&page=4

So, lead the way?

Old 08-01-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally Posted by far-trader

Originally mine seemed to be staying there fine just from the friction fit, but I've noticed it slipping a bit now so I'll have to go with the duct (not "Duck" brand) tape (the metallic silver stuff) or make myself a cover plate.
You ever plan out a cover for that CAF? Mine was hanging out just a smidge the other day when I took it for a spin. I was either going to try and find some clips that I could fasten along the edges to push up on the filter and hold it in place or use the AC insulation tape I have sitting next to me and try that method out. I may just use enough tape and cut a slit for that filter tab/handle and be happy with that.

After that, I guess it's time to work on the 08 SuperCrew. A quick feel of that setup definitely shows nothing in terms of a place to slide a filter into under the dash. I may just pull the cowel and figure out how to cobble up a cover and fasten one in place over that intake. Mustang CAFs are nice, square-looking pieces. I guess I will find that out once I get in there.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlfredB18
You ever plan out a cover for that CAF?
Nah, not yet anyway. Ain't broke, don't need ta fix it

...and I'm busy, and lazy, and terminally procrastinate

Come fall when I change it, mostly to see how gunky it is, I'll probably revisit the cover idea to make it easier, maybe

Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Sounds about right. I've just had a bunch of time off, so I had time to think about that. I guess that would take my mind off fooling with the other truck, because I just put those new cowl ends on it and I really don't even want to touch them up and push my luck.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:03 AM
Flipping awesome thread!!! I'm getting started on this today

Quick Reply: Cabin Air filtration Kit