Need LED brake lights with resistor built in.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 01:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Need LED brake lights with resistor built in.

Does anyone know where to get good LED brake lights with the resistor built in so as not to disable the cruise control? I would prefer not to install resistors myself as I don't have a multimeter to determine which is parking light and which is brake light. 05 SCAB Flareside. I've been looking on eBay and my eyes are burning from reading the descriptions of many auctions to no avail. Sooooo ...I'm turning here for help on this.

Thanks for any input....

Old 04-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a spyder 3rd brake light, no resister required.

No moisture or any other issues in one year, would recommend.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:04 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
It is the 3rd brake light that has to have the pull-down capability for the BOO signal (required for cruise operation). The rear corners don't matter. Unless you also are replacing the 3rd brake light, it's not a problem.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:49 AM

As stated, you will only need a resistor for the cruise rested issue with the third brake light.

However, with your tail lights, you're going to want a resistor or change your flasher unit because you'll definitely have hyper flashing if you just swap in LEDs.

An EP-27 flasher unit will solve that. Plug n play, right under the dash.

Sylvania Zevo 3157R are a wonderful replacement for an led tail light.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:47 PM
Thanks guys. From what I've read the 3rd light means squat. The brake lights in back are the culprits. I already got the updated flasher when I got the LED lights and 50w resistors are built into the brakelights already. I pulled them off today to re-silicone the rubber gaskets as I was getting moisture in them. Thing is if they already have resistors built in and the cc hasn't worked since I bought them then then the resistors are malfunctioning? Time for new taillights or new resistors I guess. I have an LED 3rd brake light and put stock taillights back in. CC works. Put led taillights in and no CC. Been this way for 5 years since I got the taillights. I watched a few youtube videos on how to install them [resistors] and it's embarrassingly easy. I'll get it done.... just lazy.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:48 PM
I'll try a resistor on the 3rd brake light for spits and
giggles and see what I see.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by thundertrucker
I'll try a resistor on the 3rd brake light for spits and
giggles and see what I see.
Try LEDs in the tails and an incandescent in your third brake light. I'm pretty sure the third brake light is the culprit and not the tail light.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:27 PM
From what I've read the 3rd light means squat.
Wrong, see previous.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you mean, the brake light has a resistor built in? Halogen bulbs don't use resistors. Resistors are only used when you upgrade to LED because the LED draws less power, and the computer thinks either a bulb is out OR flashes it faster since it does not require as much power.

I'm not sure what a brake LIGHT has to do with cruise control. Your cruise control stops when you press your brakes, i don't think it's based on the LOAD of your light....

where did you get this info from?

Also, there are no LED lights with built in resistors, at least anything any of us in the business would TRUST.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:53 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
If you put a LED in the 3rd brake light on a 05 without a resistor, that will disable the cruise control. Fact. This also happens if a conventional bulb in the 3rd brake light burns out.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:54 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow... good job Ford!

Old 04-25-2016, 06:26 AM
'm not sure what a brake LIGHT has to do with cruise control.
It has to do with how digital logic works.

The BOO input to the PCM was designed so that the incandescent bulb of the 3rd brake light provided a logic "low" to that input when the pedal was not pressed. If you remove that circuit path by replacing it with a device that's basically an open circuit when not powered, the PCM sees a logic high at the BOO input which is interpreted as the brake pedal being pressed. Therefore, no cruise control since the brake pedal is seen as being pressed.

All it takes is a single high value, low wattage resistor in parallel with the LED to make it work.

This is not limited to the 05 pickup, my 07 Mariner has the same logic. In fact, the factory diagnostic for an inoperative speed control on it specifically tells the technician to look for aftermarket LEDs and to install standard bulbs in order to continue.

Surprising that someone who sells LEDs doesn't know this... anyone selling aftermarket accessories should know how their product works and how it interacts with stock vehicle systems.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 04-25-2016 at 06:43 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 09:16 AM
weird, I have LED tailights and 3rd brake light, never had to install ONE resistor anywhere. No hyper flashing or cruise issue.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:20 AM
This is also how drivers can find out that their third brake light is out. If your turn signals burn out, your blinker blinks faster, as a clue to go check your turn signals. If one side brake light burns out, the cops will let you know, heh heh! I can tell whether my side brake lights are dead, because I'll see it reflect off other objects in a parking lot or on the street. That happened on my old 03 Screw. But if the third brake light burns out, you'll never be able to tell. It isn't bright enough, or positioned conveniently, for you to notice it is out. You'd never know, unless someone comes honkin' at you to let you know. And how often does anyone really even do that for other drivers?

Quick Reply: Need LED brake lights with resistor built in.