headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headlights

im looking for new headlight bulbs on my 2001 f150 and was wondering if anyone knew a bulb that will give me that super bright with a hint of blue look. im kinda wanting the color headlights like BMW has. So far ive only found the silverstar ultras and ZxE which I really like the Zxes.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anything with a hint of blue isn't going to be bright. That's just a halogen bulb with a film of blue tint on it.
The top 2 halogen bulbs will be GE night hawk platinum and Phillips Xtreme power. They will give you the most light. They don't have a blue film on them so they are going to be a warm white color.

BMW are HIDs. And their Kelvin temp is going to be 4300k which is actually a warm white also. I DO NOT suggest putting HIDs in your OEM housings without the proper optics. This will cause glare into oncoming traffic eyes, lack of output, lack of properly distributed light, and way to much foreground.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by thelariat02
Anything with a hint of blue isn't going to be bright. That's just a halogen bulb with a film of blue tint on it.
The top 2 halogen bulbs will be GE night hawk platinum and Phillips Xtreme power. They will give you the most light. They don't have a blue film on them so they are going to be a warm white color.

BMW are HIDs. And their Kelvin temp is going to be 4300k which is actually a warm white also. I DO NOT suggest putting HIDs in your OEM housings without the proper optics. This will cause glare into oncoming traffic eyes, lack of output, lack of properly distributed light, and way to much foreground.
would you recommend silverstar zXe? if not the nighthawks looked nice and I found some for $25

Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Texaslax22

would you recommend silverstar zXe? if not the nighthawks looked nice and I found some for $25
Never used them. So don't really have input on them.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Whatever you buy make sure it's a well known brand, I've seen a LOT of melted headlight sockets and wiring due to cheap aftermarket bulb upgrades.

-Steve

Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OP;

Refer to these charts, then make a cogent, informed decision:

For 9007:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...artnumber=9007

For 9008/H13:

http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/applic...partnumber=H13

A couple things ^^^ tells you :

-Premium bulbs ( e.g. zXe, Ultras) are NO brighter
-Premium bulbs have half the life, or less, of standard bulbs (depending on bulb model)
-Premium bulbs are a total waste of money for the few extra degrees Kelvin - a big deal if yer a ricer, I reckon

Just buy the Xtravisions or standards and save up fer a proper full-on HID projector retrofit. IMHO. Best advice I can give y'all.

BTW - NONE of the bulbs listed will melt yer housings or burn yer wiring - they all draw factory-specified current and emit acceptable levels of IR. You will only get into trouble by running 80-100w+ bulbs - those require a full headlight wiring upgrade (socket, wire gauge, relay intervention, fusing) and can possibly affect yer headlight housings. And still not even remotely approach a quality HID projector and capsule - running at only 35w - for output, width, uniformity, life and coolness factor.

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-11-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Quick Reply: headlights