A/c clutch squeals? is it possible?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2001, 05:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A/c clutch squeals? is it possible?

I just started having a belt squeal, but after closer investigation it sounds like a metallic sound. I sprayed a little WD-40 style spray where the clutch assembly is( being careful not to hit the belt) and the squealing stopped cold!
Do a/c clutch assemblies squeal before they fail? I have not noticed any degradation in cooling, but the temps are cooler outside now. If anyone still reads this forum, please help if you can.,,,,,98

Old 11-05-2001, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isn't that a bad thing to do?...that is a clutch that works off friction. sounds like that could be it though

Old 11-05-2001, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, if it's squealing like a stuck pig, then I probably couldn't do that much harm to it Tightening the acc. bolts didn't help like it did the last time it was making a racket. I just shot a short burst where the pulley contacts the clutch, and the noise stopped. It's going in to the dealer thursday, just wanted some possible solutions or suggestions to give them.,,,,,98

The compressor is about two years old, was a part of the assemblies replaced when I bought the truck. maybe the tensioner is gone again?

Quick Reply: A/c clutch squeals? is it possible?