'06 FX4 Crew AC issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 09:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '06 FX4 Crew AC issues

I have a 2006 Super Crew FX4 that I bought back in 11-14. When I checked out vehicle before purchase, the thermometer read 37 deg at the vent. Fast forward to present. Truck sat for about 1.5 weeks and was not driven. It is not my primary vehicle. Started it up and AC never got very cold like it used to when I parked it.

The LED for the AC on/off has been blinking since I bought the truck back in November. I had it looked over the Ford dealership where I bought it and was told this is a common problem on them. The led could last another couple of years. It has decided to stop working all together back in June. AC switch is still functional, even though light is not. I have ordered another climate control. I do not think the defunct led is the cause of loss of cooling potential.

It is hot and humid here in Western NC. Temp today was 97 in the shade. Windows were tinted right after purchase to help with cooling.

Diagnostics done to date. Mt FIL helped since he is a retired diesel mechanic with a/c repair experience.
1. Ok, used a set of gages to determine pressures. Low side is 25-40 on pressure depending on compressor being on or off. High side is 240-270 depending on compressor operation.
2. It would not take Freon. No suction.
3. Evaporator drain is not plugged up and draining freely. Water is clear, for what that matters.
4. Used a radiator comb and repaired some bent fins on the condenser.
5. Blew out the fins with a home water hose and compressed air. Not much of anything came out of the radiator or condenser, just a few bug carcasses and pine needles.
6. Best thermometer reading is 50 degrees at the vent currently. This is with three of 4 dash vents shut and 55 mph speed. Truck runs cool on temp, so cooling fans not an issue IMO.
7. I did notice that with 3 of the 4 dash vents shut, it did blow some cool air into the passenger side foot well. No air came out in the foot well when all four dash vents were open.
8. Both vents for the back seat were left shut the whole time.

My '01 Power Stroke was a crew cab and it blew ice cold for the entire 13 years I owned the truck. I added Freon once. My '06 Buick has always blown ice cold since new and I have had zero issues with it for 9 years.

FIL left to head back home without any resolution. Any ideas from the more savvy ones on here?

Old 07-10-2015, 11:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My hunting buddy is a former certified GM tech and he suggested this:
The problem is low Freon. If A/C is turned on, the compressor, should be on. If cycling on & off, the low pressure switch may be cycling compressor due to low Freon. He is not certain about newer Fords, but low side pressure should hold 40-45 is his guess. If its 25 and the compressor is turning it should take Freon. Pressure varies with ambient temperatures in a/c systems.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:28 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
The RIGHT way to do it is evacuate the system and recharge it with the exact measured amount of refrigerant.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:06 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
glc is correct, that is the right way to charge the system.

2. It would not take Freon. No suction.
That would indicate a problem with the charging equipment, not the truck. Either the manifold wasn't opened, or the refrigerant supply wasn't properly connected.

Low side is 25-40 on....High side is 240-270 depending on compressor operation.
Your pressures do suggest a low refrigerant charge. At almost 100F, I would not expect the compressor to be cycling.

Per the charts in the WSM Section 412-00, at 97F, the low side should be between 45-75 and the high side should be between 210 and 335.

Quick Reply: '06 FX4 Crew AC issues