AC Dripping under dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2001, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Dripping under dash

I've got a 98 F-150 with about 46,000 miles. About 8,000 miles ago, the AC compressor was replaced along with the filters, etc. The system has been working great since then. This past weekend, the AC was dripping under the passenger side dash. This was on a 325 mile trip with the AC on low the entire time. Any ideas what can cause this? Did the dealer do something wrong when they worked on my AC?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 09-04-2001, 05:16 PM
Same problem here on my 98 with 44,000K. Just this weekend while on a 2-1/2 hour drive with the a/c on low my girlfriend noticed that it was dripping. Nothing has been replaced on mine, so maybe it is normal when used for an extended period of time????

Old 09-04-2001, 07:00 PM
If you look under the hood you should see a drainage tube from the firewall for the air conditioning. It should run down to drain under the truck. I had one in our car once that plugged up and filled the rear seat foot space with water. I pushed a screw driver into the tube to unplug it and no problem since. They plug over time, sometimes. JSCOTT, I wonder if they put the drainage tube back in after the work you had done?

Old 09-05-2001, 01:21 PM
I'll check for the drain tube. It does drain water under the truck, as normal, but also drips inside the truck...

Old 09-10-2001, 10:53 PM
Question

Even though it may be draining, it may not be adequate enough. You need to physically manipulate the tube itself.
You might also check the area where the drain tube mounts. A piece of foam or other debris may be blocking a portion of the hole.

Old 09-15-2001, 03:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info guys,I was just about to post with the same trouble Guess I ought to check the drain tube,eh? I also found out via fiance,she was wearing open toed shoes,LMAO.....98

Old 09-19-2001, 08:43 AM
I finally got some time to work on this issue. Unfortunately, I can't find the drain hose. I assume I look for it under the hood, but I don't really have any idea what or where to look for it. I let it sit and idle for 5 min with the AC on. No drips under the dash, and losts of water dripping from under truck. Unfortunately, it drips on the exhaust heat shield, so I can't see where it comes from.

Quick Reply: AC Dripping under dash