05 hissing when off

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 hissing when off

hi everyone, i have a 2005 150 with the 5.4. haven't used the ac lately but today i did. it seems to get worse and worse as the problem has happened in the past.

1) the ac takes a while to get cold (longer than normal, but still works fine when up to temp) when i turn the truck off i hear about 20 seconds of a hissing noise from the passenger side of the engine bay (everything looks normal. )

2) inside the cab it sounds like running water (like water going down a household sink drain) it comes from the passenger side under the dash so heater core?

3) also after at least 10 minutes of use it will randomly make a noise for at least 5 minutes after turning the truck off(sounds exactly like water boiling over a pan onto a stove) im guessing condensation off the freon lines onto the exhaust manifold, but how much condensation should be built op on the lines?

again these are now normal and everything seems to work fine, however a buddy that also has a 05 f150 with the 5.4 does not do any of these things.........and go figure my warranty expires in less than 60 days

Old 01-27-2014, 03:39 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I'd suspect a clogged condensate drain. There is a hose that goes from the catch tray under the dash through the firewall. When it's working right, that's the dripping you see under the truck when you run the A/C.

Quick Reply: 05 hissing when off