adding R134 for dummies.......pictures????

Old 06-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I feel like a total dufus. I bought another can of R134A with a different quick connect and gauge. I bought the stuff from NAPA. I don't think I had much of a better outcome. I have watched videos on how to do this procedure and the directions on the cans are identical and pretty straight forward. I at least get the gauge to change it went up a bit. but not much I'm afraid to overcharge the system and it was much more difficult to get this quick connect connected to my low side. This can had all of maybe 5 inches of hose and my low side is kind of down almost below the PCM. I don't have much room to work here.

I agitate the can, but there's not much room to agitate the can. And I'm not a auto idiot. Has anyone else had this kind of trouble?

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but I figured this might help the OP too.

Old 06-16-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I bought my first set of gauges (R12) (Yellow Jacket brand) back in the 80's I believe from Merritt Holland, the co. that sells oxygen and acetylene to shops for about $30. My R134A gauges, I bought from a large auto parts store in Birmingham Al for about $130 in 2005. Both are good quality. Nowadays, unless you live in a large city, you may have to order a gauge set. Most stores these days only stock what sells often. About the only market for the full gauge set is mechanic shops and AC repair places. So, a place that caters to these places is where you may find them.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the input. I feel like a clown trying to do this and I don't seem to be getting anywhere.

Old 06-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Originally Posted by FX4Nick
I bought a can of R143A Arctic Freeze. It comes with a gauge and quick connect. I followed the instructions. My ambient temp was 92* so I should have gotten somewhere between 40-50 PSI. The gauge read 35PSI. so I tried to charge the system agitating the can by turning "between 12 o'clock and 3 o'clock every 3 seconds. My charge never got above 35 PSI. I disconnected and re connected the hose to the low side 3 times. and there was no change in PSI. I tested the can to make sure I puntucred the can seal when I screwed the gauge/hose onto the can. I could hear something in the can when I pulled the trigger.

has this happened to anyone? I am afraid to over charge it. but my can was definately lighter when I was done. I estimate i used about 1/2 the 18oz. can. Has anyone had the gauges that come with the cans work?

I did notice that once the quick connection was made it would back off the low side schrader valve 1/8 inch, but when the trigger was pulled there was no leak around the schrader valve. When charging I tried to push down on the quick connectto make sure there was a good connection with no leaks.

Any help or toughts would be appriciated. And if your going to tell me to buy gauges, please tell me where and suggestions for brands. I didn't find them at AutoZone.

Thanks
Yes, I have the exact same problem, same can and short hose. I am going to use a longer hose with brass quick connects week after next and try again to add refrigerant. My pressure never changed on the gauge and I couldn't tell if there was anything going or not. After squeezing and fighting it for about twenty minutes I quit. Not enough hose and the can is too big and in the way to do what the directions said.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It helps to run your engine at about 1800 rpm when putting the r134 in.
On the Fords the refrigerant is going into the accumulator(The aluminum canister mounted on the firewall) It is OK to let liquid go into the accumulator, because the vacuum will make dissipate before it gets to the compressor (unless your system is overcharged). Running your engine at 18k rpm it is OK to add 134a to it until the gauge reads 30 to 35 HG (pounds) of pressure. The high pressure side will vary depending on the ambient temperature. One reason to do that rpm is that it is the normal operating speed for the engine. Another is to create the vacuum to get the refrigerant (Freon in my terms, but some people are picky about the words you use around here) out of the can.

On some systems that the low pressure schrader valve is in line and not on the accumulator, it is important not to put liquid in that type system.

I have been doing it this way for more than 30 years, and have never damaged a system. Except once I burned a compressor diode on a chevy because I jump the compressor clutch the wrong way.:o

I'm not licenced, but did work for a refrigeration company for a while before licencing was required. Plus I do all the maintenance work on my walk in coolers and A/C systems at work and home.

It is also necessary to purge the air from the gauge set before you connect them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: adding R134 for dummies.......pictures????