1997 F150 - HVAC Gone

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F150 - HVAC Gone

Ok..so there I was driving down to LAX...hey even in Cali it gets a little cold. So I turn on the heater....noticed it was blowing luke warm air....thought..hmmm...i'll have to get online and see what the problem could be....them bam...everything in the HVAC stops working and I smell some gawd awful smell...wires burning or something I think. Any ideas what my problem is??? While Heating isn't need in Cali, A/C is...and now NOTHING works. I can hear something clicking when I'm turning the "Right" *** on the control....but it seems neither the center "Temperature" *** or the left *** "Fan Control" seem to do anything.... ANY help would be appreciated. THanks

Old 04-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Possible the fan motor burn up. With a noticeable smell like you described I would start looking under the dash and probably pull the dash out to see what happened.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:27 PM
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts
Check fuse F23 underhood (blower power) and fuse F5 underdash (A/C compressor clutch and Bled Door Actuator).

The clicking is probably the blower relay that gets energized whenever the seector switch is moved from OFF to any of the other positions.

If the blower fuse is blown, you know definitely where the smoke came from. However, it's quite possible that another componnet smoked but that the fuse didn't blow. Personally, I'd suspect either the blower switch/connector, the blower motor, or the connector at the blower resistor.

There's no need yet to pull your dash, still plenty of checking to be done before you get to that point (which is likely to NOT be reached).

If you need the electrical diagram, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Steve

Quick Reply: 1997 F150 - HVAC Gone