1995 Heater issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 Heater issue

Okay my heater selector **** felt like it was binding a bit has I selected heat. So I get some mild warm air but not enough to really do anything. I pulled the panel out and the glove box. I followed the cabels to what looks like a plastic gear that is connected to the deflector door(?) well it isn't closing enough to allow all the air past the heater core. The truck warms up fine and I have no leaks. The cables are not binding on anything, but I was wondering if anyone has seen this issue on the older versions before?

Just trying to save the expensive trip to a dealer. Thanks alot in advance

Old 12-23-2006, 01:51 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's very common, and you have one problem that has caused another.

What you're seeing at the cable end is that it has slid in the (bright green?) metal clip that holds the end of the black cable sheath, which is why it doesn't move the lever far enough to work right. It's easy enough to move the sheath back in the clip to the original position.

...but you have to fix the ROOT problem first, which is the film hinge on the (temperature) "blend door". After flexing for 10 years, it's cracked, and the door is loose inside the box. Probably the easiest way to get at it is to just unhook the heater hoses from under the hood (you don't have to drain any coolant, and you'll only spill a few drops), then fold the glove box fully down, reomve the heater core cover, & pull the heater core out. It's really that simple, and only takes a few minutes.

Once you're looking at it, you can decide how to fix it: screw another piece of flexible plastic on to rejoin the door to its pivot; install a metal hinge; something else. For a few photos, click my signature link & look in the General Purpose album. There are several shots of a '93 with all the stuff under the hood labelled, and more of a '96 with the dash taken apart, and some older trucks, which are very similar. You might even find a diagram of the HVAC system in the Diagrams album, but I'm not sure.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Just for ****s and grins. we pulled most of the dash out. While I was taking a break in frustration my buddy went back out the the truck and we somehow jared loose a pen that had fallen down the vent years ago. It had the dealers name on it.

Funny stuff. Works great now.

Quick Reply: 1995 Heater issue