Old 04-13-2015, 01:39 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Blend door replacement with pictures
http://www.f150online.com/forums/hva...-pictures.html
ISSUE
’97-’02 F150’s and Expygators temperature blend doors are breaking. This is a labor intensive Do-It-Yourself guide with pictures and details

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Blend door replacement with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Nah, you don't have to mess with any of the A/C lines. The quick disconnects on the core are a bitch to get to on a 5.4 4V Navigator though, the intake manifold is in the way. I just cut the tubes off the core from the inside and pull the hoses out to where I can work with 'em in the engine compartment. Snapping the hoses back onto the new core is a lot easier than fighting to get them off the old core.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. Your pics and help made what i expected to be a nightmare of a project not too bad. I was able to get it torn apart, replaced, and put back together in about 10 or 11 hrs. It would have been less, but I wanted to be sure to bag and tag all the bolts that I was removing. The worst part was trying to get the heater core lines clipped back in

Old 11-09-2006, 09:24 AM
Quintin I was wondering if I could get your help. I just replaced the front heater core in my 99 Expedition. After I replaced the front heater core I noticed my rear heat doesn't heat right. Here are the symptoms. If I have the front heat running the rear heater doesn't heat. If i adjust the front air to cold than the rear heat starts to heat , but just a bit. I touched the two hoses going to the rear heater core an one is extremely hotter than the other. Did I miss something when I replaced the front heater core or did I do something wrong when I replaced the dash. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dasp
Quintin I was wondering if I could get your help. I just replaced the front heater core in my 99 Expedition. After I replaced the front heater core I noticed my rear heat doesn't heat right. Here are the symptoms. If I have the front heat running the rear heater doesn't heat. If i adjust the front air to cold than the rear heat starts to heat , but just a bit. I touched the two hoses going to the rear heater core an one is extremely hotter than the other. Did I miss something when I replaced the front heater core or did I do something wrong when I replaced the dash. Thanks for the help.
Well, there's a temperature control motor in the center console that can fail. You have to remove the console and get at it from the bottom of the console, IIRC (it's been a few years since I've done one). There's also a big bulkhead connector in the center console that feeds power to this motor, make sure you tightened that up. Lemme think it over for a bit, maybe I can come up with something else.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:11 PM
heater core change

never mind

Last edited by dave the dentis; 11-09-2006 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Question

Sometimes when I shut my a/c off I hear a door in the dash making a quick shutting sound.Is this the blend door and is it common to do this?

Old 11-26-2006, 11:58 PM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
There are two routes that the air flow can go. Fresh or Recirculated. Recirculated air is used in the MAX AC and the OFF modes. All the other AC positions are fresh air. There is a flapper that controls this. If you turn the **** to OFF it will shut the flapper and that may be what you are hearing.

JMC

Old 02-20-2007, 02:10 AM
Help

I just tore my 01 expy apart and the door is fine. I could not push the door closed. It was stuck in the hot mode for 2 weeks. How do I get the motor out. I can not figure it out do I need a special tool or just more skills. Hurry my wife is going to kill me, I told her no problem to fix it when the ac guy said 875 to replace the door. Could It be any other problem?????

Thanks Mike Rodgers

Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Nice write-up Quentin! Now for a strategy question... I have a 99 f150, the HVAC is working fine right now, but I expect to be fixing this blend door at some point. Seems that it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the heater core when the thing is apart to do this. Alternatively, if the heater core goes bad, should I replace the blend door parts at that time? How much extra expense would that incur, i.e. would it be good insurance or a waste of money?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:19 AM
1999 Expedition

I am attempting to follow Quintin's instructions with the blend door.
This seems to be quite intensive. My question is that is that can this blend door problem cause cool air to go to the driver's side and very warm air to go to the passenger's side? I need this info before I remove my dashboard.
The vehicle is a 1999 Expedition Eddie Bauer with dial in temp control. That means you can set the temp to say 72 or 73 etc. The rear A/C seems to deliver cold air and not warm air. I have ordered the manual so I can properly disable the air bags. Anyone who has also performed this operation and has info would be greatly appreciated. Great pictures Quintin, you seem to be the expert for the diy people.
John

Old 08-14-2008, 09:56 AM
Problem: After replacing heater core, and re-assemblein dash - still have no A/C.
Could this be a blend door malfunction? or something else? - started having problems a week after the heater core started leaking. Replaced core sucessfully, no leaks.
blend door looked fine, everything we checked in the vac system seemed to be OK
So where IS the actuator for the blend door? (tell me its not under the heater vcore box <sigh>

So whats the best way to troubleshoot exactly what is the A/C problem?
If i have to yank the dash again id like to do it only once more.

1998 Ford Truck 07/98 F150 1FTZF18W7WKC20866

(BTW i appreciate the blend door motor details, looks like that needs replacing as well i am betting) - but is there any better information as to how to do THIS procedure?

Last edited by CNDdrdave; 08-14-2008 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Problem now no cooling AC after heater core replacement.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:28 AM
(Bottom mounted) Blend Door motor removal made easy...

My blend door (2001) was on the bottom side of the box. Tried for an hour or so to remove that darn floor duct work. Long story short I used a sawsall and made a cut just to the left of the port that goes under the carpet towards the rear (4-door tk) and was able to slide the right half of this plastic vent tube out very easy, thus allowing me room for a 8mm socket to remove the blend door motor.

I had a leaking heater core that I replaced a few days ago. All was fine until my wife decides to steal my truck because her car was dirty. She came home and threw the keys at me and said she would never drive it again. She was stuck in traffic on a 90 degree day and could not get the dash to stop blowing hot air, She was mad!

I had drove the truck a couple of days and all was fine for me. Apparently the leaking antifreeze made it's way to the motor and found the circuit board. It just took a couple of days before it shorted out some solder connections. I'll not tell my wife about this...

Old 02-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Replaced the Heater Core

Quintin Thank you for the great thread with photo's just completed the same task on my 98 EB Expedition. Pm'd you about a few other issues I am experiencing. Have a great day.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow I hope my blend door/actuator or heater core never go bad......holy sh^t.

I'd rather have a more unattractive dash that had like a folding up piece to get at the heater core area.

Why the hell didn't they make this a 2 piece dash?!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NYfordguy, you might be interested in this method of access to the blend door
www.heatertreater.net

Quick Reply: Blend door replacement with pictures