When do you recharge A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When do you recharge A/C?

Maybe a stupid question. Should you have the A/C recharged like a maintenance item, or only when you think you have problems?

In other words, if looking at the site glass (of which I have not) and it looks good is that it? or should you have it recharged on a regular basis, like every 2 years etc?

My A/C feels good, but figured it might be like some problems that you don't notice over time.

Old 04-16-2003, 11:34 PM
you should have the charge checked every other summer(2 Years) and then the drier and strainer assembly replaced every 10 years...I've done mine every summer and have just completed it this past weekend and my out put at the center vents with the A/C at max and fan on high going 50 MPH is 38*F...heres a tip..when checking the charge run engine at 1500RPMs and place a "hurrican Fan" in front of the condensor coils on high to simulate air moving through the coils at the speed 1500 would produce(50 MPH)..place A/C on max and fan on high with windows closed...a digital thermometor placed into the center vent and the proper gauges hooked up....don't over charge!!!..if you don't suspect a leak it won't take but a few seconds of charge to top any system off..if you can get your hands on a large can of 134 it will save you wasting all the 134 in that 12oz can..thats the common mistake made that everyone thinks you have to put the whole can in...nope!!!...you will seriously damage the system by overcharging..if you have a leak and cant find it you might look at the seal behind the clutch assembly on the compressor..notourius leaker...good luck

Old 04-19-2003, 06:46 PM
Best advice I can give you is to keep on truckin!!!
AC systems don't lose or use Freon unless there is a problem.
If you are trying preventative maintenance,.Good Luck! I don't know of any.These things just run until they quit. Whether it's due to leak or compressor failure,or an electrical problem, they quit only when something's wrong..

Quick Reply: When do you recharge A/C?