Please help. Question about audio

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help. Question about audio

Hey guys, this is my first post here, so hello to everyone. I just installed the Sony Xplod CDX-GT640UI head unit and replaced the stock speakers with 5x7 60 watt Polk door speakers. Next week, I will have a mono Alpine amp and one 12" Polk sub. I just have a few questions. Any help from anyone would be appreciated!

(1) With what I currently have, the pitch is very high on vocals (regardless of the genre of the music). There is no direct treble adjustment for the Sony HU (just has EQ3, DSO, hi, mid, low settings, fade, balance settings) and the high pitch sounds like all vocals are sung with a strong lisp! Can anyone recommend a good equalizer setting for my HU that will sound good in my F-150? Especially the fade/balance settings! My front speakers is where I can hear the noise from and they dominate the rears (balance and fade are set to "0"). The fade and balance on the stock HU were set to the center and it never gave me high pitched vocals. This is driving me crazy!!!

(2) The Sony HU pushes 52 watts per each channel and the polk 5x7s are only 60 watts. I think that the HU has plenty of power to output to the polks, but would it be better to run an external amp for the speakers or just use the sony?

(3) Would dynamat door speaker sheets really be that beneficial? The doors don't seems to shake that bad (hardly noticeable, even on the XPLOD eq3 setting).

I would really appreciate any feedback! Thanks again to everyone.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 PM
1. Polk speakers are very harsh to begin with.

2. The sony pushes about 20 watts rms. In general, max numbers dont mean squat. What series polks do you have?

3. Yes.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 AM
i'm not sure what series the polks are but i ended up getting rid of the sony HU and have now gotten an alpine BT HU and the alpine power pack......much better. im looking into getting a 12" sub and mono amp. was looking at the 12" polk and an alpine mono amp. what would you recommend?

Quick Reply: Please help. Question about audio