Head Unit Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Unit Install

How hard is it to install a new head unit? I have a 2009 F150 STX Extended Cab and want to replace the stock unit. I am not an electronics expert and would like to do the job myself and not shell out a ton of money to get it done. Does anyone have any directions or anything on how to do a new HU install and what I will need (wiring harness etc) to do the job. Any help will be greatly appreciated. THANKS

Old 04-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
For a novice like yourself, your best bet would be to buy from crutchfield. They supply the dash kit, harness adapters, antenna adapter, and detailed instructions with pics all free of charge with a purchase of a hu.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
For a novice like yourself, your best bet would be to buy from crutchfield. They supply the dash kit, harness adapters, antenna adapter, and detailed instructions with pics all free of charge with a purchase of a hu.
At least when I have looked online, they dont offer any of that with the 09-10 models. For some reason they also say double din Nav units wont fit in the 09+ trucks when there are several people who have already done it and Metra makes the adapter. Best bet is to call crutchfield and see what they say. I have bought from them many times and they do a great job and their service is best in the industry. I bought an eclipse amp from them last week and they sent me a hand written card thanking me for my business. Dont see that every day, Crutchfield may not be the cheapest but they are the best.

But as far as the install harness, on metras site the wire kit they have for the 09+ is way expensive, it supposedly has extra stuff to include a 12V signal that Ford did away with in the factory harness for the new models. Not sure if the older one will work and if so what if anything you really do lose.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:48 PM
I'm not 100% on this but dosen't the STX have that huge panel with all of the a/c components, radio, and any other controls all bundled together(radio is just buttons and a slot for a cd but it's one whole unit all tied together)? if it is that dosen't look like it's going to be an easy install.

Quick Reply: Head Unit Install