Power wire confusion!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power wire confusion!

I am at the end of an install and need some help on power wires. I have a Alpine 505 and a harness that connects to the stock 2005 Premium system wire harness and then to the harness on the back of the 505 that has a power line so I assume I connect those two and do not need to run power from the 505 to the battery? I also am adding a back up camera, Bluetooth and Sirius Sat...the Bluetooth and the Sirius have power lines as well...Do I tie the power wires of these two into the harness/505 power wire or do I run individual power wires from these units directly to the battery?

Finally the back up camera does not have a power wire perse but a ACC/reverse wire. I have an extnsion wire for that that will get the wire to the HU but I do not know what wire on the ford/harness is ACC?

Yes I am electrically challenged! Thanks for the help.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not familiar with the premium sound systems Ford puts in their trucks (I got mine with the crappy stock sound system for the purpose of upgrading). You shouldn't have to run power from the head unit to the battery so I would connect it to the harness. And with the Bluetook and Sirius modules, it's best to run power from the battery to them. I'm sure you could run them from the radio power and install a bigger fuse, only problem with that is the wiring used to run power and ground from the raio might not withstand more current than 10 amps (which is what most headunits run max). And with your camera, it should be acc, rev, and gnd. For the acc, try to follow whichever the RED wire on the headunit is, that's the ignition accessory wire.

Quick Reply: Power wire confusion!