Recommend head unit

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend head unit

So my truck was recently broken into and my AVIC-D3 is gone. Running the stock headunit right now, and it sucks!!

I don't want to go back to a double din nav unit, not trying to get my truck broken into. I am looking for a good single din headunit that puts out decent power, gets good FM reception, can control an ipod, doesn't look all gawdy, and above all must have a removable faceplate.

Would be nice to stick with pioneer cause I still have my ipod cable and xm controller from my avic.

Any recommendations? I have shopped, but there is just so much to sort through. I thought I saw in one of their catalogs that crutchfield sells stock looking aftermarket radios but cant find anything on their website. I just want a nice clean look.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:28 PM
I say go back with the Navi but add an alarm this time around if you havent done so already. No matter what you put in their , if they want it there going to get it.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:54 AM
Im so sorry, I know the feeling. I had my AVIC-Z2 stolen recently.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
I had an alarm....actually a pretty good one. These guys knew what they were doing....completely disabled it. Somehow they even found the override switch and pulled that out too!!!

Anyway, thats why I want a removable face....no sense in stealing a radio without a face.

Any recommendations?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:26 PM
I just installed an Alpine 9886 and am very pleased with it so far. Not sure how fancy you are wanting but it has a lot of nice features. CD's sound awesome. The tuner does very well but I have heard the Pioneers have a slight edge in that department.

I really liked the Pioneers and have always had good luck with them. I just found them to be a bit more diffuicult to navigate. Id say go with either of these brands.

This is the one I got.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDA9...6.html?tp=5684

Old 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Coming from a guy who sells/installs 'em everyday, go with a pioneer. They have the cleanest look to them, and in my opinion, have the hands down best control for the ipod.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I have always used Pioneers---all the way back to my first casette deck in 1978. I have one in my two cars, my truck, and in my son's car as well.

Tim C.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my alpine. I have used alpine in all my vehicles I've owned and I've never had a problem with them. I'm currently running the 9884 and I love it.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 AM
All the Eclipse's, Upper Echelon Pioneer's or 84+ Alpine's would be my picks.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:22 AM
I have been looking online and am leaning toward the Pioneers.....I went from a Kenwood DDX7015 to the AVIC-D3....the D3 was so easy to navigate, and I figure since I am used to their UI, might as well stick with it.

One more question....I have seen some of the single dins with the pop out screen, and they say they have a removable face....does this work the same as any other single din?

Old 12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by thais0n
I have been looking online and am leaning toward the Pioneers.....I went from a Kenwood DDX7015 to the AVIC-D3....the D3 was so easy to navigate, and I figure since I am used to their UI, might as well stick with it.

One more question....I have seen some of the single dins with the pop out screen, and they say they have a removable face....does this work the same as any other single din?
My Avic N3 has a detachable face. What it does is when the screen is down inside the dash, the little display part (top of screen) stays in place, the the bottome half of the screen pops off. Behind the face is a little red security light.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I've posted this in other threads, so this may be redundent, but I am completely sold on the JVC DD unit I have. Does everything, nav, sat. radio, ipod (though I don't have any experiance with the ipod feature), dvd, usb port, bluetooth and so on. It does however have an sd card slot that I just started using, and I love it, the card I have is only 1gb and have stored so far 20 cds on it, but I plan on getting a 4gb card, should be able to store 1000's of songs on it. Best feature with this unit is that it has a detatchable faceplate, the only dd I've seen that has this. I know alot of you out there are sold on Pioneer, but I've had several and don't care for them at all, would rather have a Kenwood before a Pioneer. I have several JVC units and am completely happy with how every one of them performs, and that's comparing them to Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood and Panisonic, all of which I have experience with. I think JVC is an under rated product and doesn't get enough buzz, and is certainly less expensive than the others I have mentioned. I also have the JVC single din kd-nx 5000 in my wife's car (used to be in the truck until I got the dd) and it does everything the dd unit does (except for the sd slot), and it also has the detatchable faceplate. Just thought I would throw that out there. Click on my profile to look at the pics of the dd unit and click on my sig to look at the single din unit.

Last edited by mitch150; 12-10-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I believe that you might consider one with a removeable face---it would at least make the thieves thin a little longer before stealing it...and from what I have heard, if they are slowed down any, they move ot another vehicle.

Some other units you might consider is the Kenwood DPX303, JVC KW-XG700, and the Clarion DUZ385SAT--it was mentined that they look pretty factory installed------and when I looked at them, they really didn't look after market at all.

Last edited by referee54; 12-10-2008 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Recommend head unit