Newbie audiophile / CD6 basic question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie audiophile / CD6 basic question

I have read a few threads about the factory CD6 and audiophile CD6 head units. My basic questions are:
1) If you're starting with a factory single CD head unit, can it be removed and a factory CD6 unit be installed in its place without any modifications to the wiring harness. In other words, will the CD6 plug right into the harness that exists from the single CD unit?

2) If i don't immediately plan to install a sub or external amp, is it worth the extra money to install the audiophile cd6 head unit? Does the audiophile sound better even without the sub? Most importantly, will the audiophile head unit plug directly into the harness that existed from the factory single CD unit? If yes, then is all the discussion about needing extra harness because they are needed for the sub and not simply to plug in the audiophile HU?

Please help!
Thanks!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM
OK...both a cd6/mp3 standard & a cd6/mp3 audiophile will plug right in. If you will be adding a sub, then go for the audiophile, no since buying a radio then have to buy the audiophile after. It will sound a little funny until you add the sub because all the lows are cut out of your door speakers. Also make sure when you are searching for a radio, it is out of a f150 and not just a ford. Some models of radios from different vehicles are not compatible and the illumination lights won't work. Not trying to force you into anything but I have an audiophile listed on ebay right now, here is the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...199148990&rd=1 Also about the subwoofer, check under you driver side rear seat. There is a slit there, if you feel a connector in there, you may already have the harness. Behind the radio would be the other end, probably taped back to the harness. I had to make my own harness to add mine. Good luck.

Last edited by tmd07; 02-10-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Both the single CD unit and the 6CD units use the same Phase II connector suite. Standard units use two connectors while the Audiophile uses three (the third being for the sub-woofer). Both my '05 and '07 F-150's have the Audiophile wiring harness already installed. It's just folded back behind the dash and taped to the main harness. The other end is taped to the wiring harness under the seat (for the woofer). I have seen trucks that just had the connectors taped behind the dash and no harness.

I haven't worked on an Audiophile unit in a while, but the speaker outputs used to go to an amp first. If that's still the case, an Audiophile unit wouldn't be able to power the speakers on its own.

Another option for you is to connect an amp & sub-woofer to your standard head unit. I just build a harness from readily available Scosche or Metra adapters and splice in the amp & woofer (no damage to factory wiring). A line out converter (LOC) can be used with the original head unit and an amp with only RCA inputs. I prefer to use an amp with both speaker level and RCA inputs (no need for a LOC). I run a couple of 10 inch woofers in a box under my back seat (see gallery). It's a heck of a lot louder than the standard Audiophile system.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks guys!
I'm confused; one reply says either the audiophile or the standard CD6 will work with the single CD harness - but the other reply says the audiophile can't power the door speakers without an external amp. Is that true?

Perhaps I am better off with the standard CD6 since I could add my own amp later yet live without it for now. Right now I can afford the CD6 but not the amp and sub. I also don't have the time right now to install the extra equipment, even if the harness exists under the rear seat.

I forgot to mention this is for an '04 F150.

I assume the quality of the sound is the same from either the single disc or the CD6 - the only difference being the added CD capacity.

If I knew FOR SURE that the audiophile HU would power the stock speakers and I could add the amp and sub later, I'd go that route. I just don't know for sure.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:41 PM
The audiophile does power the door speakers on it's own, it just won't power a sub without the amp. I went the same route as you, so I bought the audiophile unit first and ran it until I added the factory sub later when I found a good deal.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:05 AM
Question

Originally Posted by tmd07
The audiophile does power the door speakers on it's own, it just won't power a sub without the amp. I went the same route as you, so I bought the audiophile unit first and ran it until I added the factory sub later when I found a good deal.
I am looking to go the exact route as you. I posted a thread on the speaker and sub forum but got no responce. I currently am looking to add 2 ten inch subs and upgrade the stock speakers while I am at it. I bought a audiophile headunit off ebay because I wanted to install the bradmotion ipod direct connect that I got for my birthday. The head unit is from an 06 F150, brand new headunit. My bradmotion kit works perfectly. But I lost my bass because I don't have a sub yet. I've been asking a lot of questions, but have found very few answers or people that are willing to help. I was thinking of getting the Polk db571's for the front doors and the polk db570's for the rear doors. As far as subs go I was going to get a box from Supercrewsound, however I am not sure what subs I should go with. I know they offer a discount if you buy on of their sub and box packages. My main concern is the amp, I wouldn't be so sure which to get. I hear the the polks sound a whole lot better amped. Would I need to get 1 or 2 amps? Maybe 1 for the sub and 1 for the speakers? I've also heard about an MTX reQ would this be neccesary or make a considerable difference in sound? I've already searched for the sub harness behind the dash and under the rear drivers side seat under the carpet, and no luck finding it. Meaning I would have to make one a new harness for my subs. I would really appreciate a little help, thank you all for reading.

Quick Reply: Newbie audiophile / CD6 basic question