Harley-Davidson

New Car Smell Missing Already???

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2000, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New Car Smell Missing Already???

Ok, weird topic alert! My 1997 F-150 kept its new car smell for nearly two years. I LOVE that smell! (My wife hates it, btw.) Anyhow, the HD truck barely had any of the smell when I picked it up new, and now it's entirely gone. I keep the windows rolled up nearly all the time and the truck is always garaged and out of the sun.

I suspect that the smell is from the glues, etc. used in assembly. The 1997 truck had a cloth interior, and course, the new one has the leather captain's chairs. Could this difference be the answer? What is it other than new carpeting and various glues that give a new vehicle that wonderful new smell?

I've been robbed!

------------------
'00 F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
K&N FIPK
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

[This message has been edited by HarleyGuy (edited 12-20-2000).]

Old 12-20-2000, 10:24 PM
I'm a smoker but if I haven't driven the truck for a week or so (I don't keep it in the city) I still have a bit of new car smell but quite honestly I never thought the HD smell was that pleasing--leather or what I dunno but not what my SVT Contour with a bit of leather after 2 years and lots of smoking still exhibits a whiff of 'new' car smell if not driven for a week or so. Leather, glue, dunno but it still has original smell when left alone. And it sits outside, not garaged.

Old 12-20-2000, 11:59 PM
Talking

The 1997 F-150 (the one that kept the new smell) was grabbed by yours truly right of the delivery truck. A friend of mine called on a cell phone as he was on lunch and said he saw a truck that looked like I had described mine on a truck driving into town. I called my dealer and told them I'd like to pick my truck up immediately. They said it wasn't there yet, I told the guy to look out the window in about 5 minutes and it would be!

Perhaps, that's why it kept the new smell? It didn't sit around at a dealership with windows down, and whatever, for a month or two like the Harley truck likely did.

------------------
'00 F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
K&N FIPK
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

Quick Reply: New Car Smell Missing Already???