Time to upgrade or just keep goin'?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 01:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time to upgrade or just keep goin'?????

Well, I've officially got just about 60k on the ole' '98 extra-cab 4.6L green machine XLT. I was gettin' ready to buy some tires tonite when I got this itch outta' nowhere to maybe trade this sombiscuit in for whatever the old lady would like. (I'm guessin' Expedition)
I can't see givin' up the truck bed, so we may have to go super crew or somethin', but then I come here (been a while) and see the 2004 pics. Now what??
Do I just go spend the $400 on tires & keep rollin' or do I trade-in on an '02 super crew, or do I wait for this '04 beast?

The green machine will be paid in full come April/May!!
TIA~Randy

Old 11-04-2002, 03:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's running good, and giving you no problems, I say keep it.... you're gonna have it paid off soon, I'd wait for the 04.
I bet the itch will be worse when they come out...... good things come to those that wait.

Habibi

Old 11-04-2002, 10:14 AM
Ya, you're probably right. I wish (since the day I brought it home) that my truck had the 4th door. I also wish it had the rear seat-belts out of the way like the '02's. I had hubcaps poppin' off for the first 3 years. (think I finally got it licked)

The only thing I worry about occasinally is that it will ping/knock when towing and going uphill. I've tried super unleaded but it doesn't seem to stop, only help. Heck, I've lived with it this long, might as well save it for another few months!!

I figure the dealer would give me $10K on a trade & I could probably get $12-$13k on private sale?????

Old 11-04-2002, 11:03 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If you've got an itch hey, somebody has to keep the economy moving.

I don't have a forth door or even a third door.
I drive 16,500 per year and plan to unload this truck at 165,000.
I figure I'll need to buy:
Two sets of tires
One brake job
One set of shocks
Exhaust work(maybe twice)
One battery
15 Gallons of antifreeze
33 oil changes
and less than 10,000 gallons of gas.

Old 11-04-2002, 11:09 AM
yea me too....but how come ive already put 2 sets of rear tires on and im only at 52k

Old 11-04-2002, 12:01 PM
You too on the trade-in? Or you too on the same probs I described?? Forgot to mention that the only reason I'm actually getting new tires is that one of 'em (Firestone, go figure) deveoped a "pull". I never heard of a tire pull before, but it acts just like a misalignment. Switch the tire to the other side & the truck will pull the other direction. Funky, but I don't mind changin' the tires, I guess, the new ones will look nicer.

Actually, it's been as good a truck as any. To top it off, I'm getting the best gas mileage of its life right now. I towed out to Lake Havasu from So Cal a couple weeks ago even using the air conditioning and I averaged 19.2mph! I've NEVER gotten that before. I also noticed that I'm consistently getting to 200miles before half a tank now (of course the last half-tank goes quickly, i just use 1/2 as a barometer)

I can't believe how fast these suckers depreciate though. I remember paying $24K for this truck new & to think that it's only worth 1/2 of that is truly sickening since it still feels like a fairly new truck to me. Oh well, I think I'll wait, it just kinda' makes me itch when you start spending money on new tires & such when the new trucks already have new tires on them!!

Old 11-04-2002, 12:20 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by 98150xlt
... To top it off, I'm getting the best gas mileage of its life right now. I towed out to Lake Havasu from So Cal a couple weeks ago even using the air conditioning and I averaged 19.2mph! I've NEVER gotten that before...
This is actually very common in these trucks.
Evidently, you and a passenger were discussing trading it in while you had the air vents in the open position.

It is well known that the truck's computer can hear all cabin conversations with the air vents open.

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2002, 12:25 PM
Keep rollin'!

I wish mine was paid for, I'd keep ridin' if it had 160,000.
Slap some tires on that sucker and keep going.

Old 11-04-2002, 12:57 PM
Anybody else pinging under load?? Never seems to do it when not towing & I only tow a jetski so maybe 1,000lbs max with ski *and* trailer.

It is well known that the truck's computer can hear all cabin conversations with the air vents open
LMAO!!!! That's hilarious!! Maybe you're right!!

I wish mine was paid for
Assuming that you've got a later model than my '98......believe me, you'll be surprised how fast 5 years goes by!!!

Old 11-04-2002, 10:21 PM
Mine is also a 98!

I bought it used about a year ago. And yes, it pings like crazy!

Quick Reply: Time to upgrade or just keep goin'?????