Hunters: rifle and scope question

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2001, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hunters: rifle and scope question

Santa is bringin me a marlin 336 30/30 for christmas(ok I am buyin it) and I was wondering what size and power scope would be appropriate for this type of rifle.
Keep in mind that ,where I hunt, a shot over 75 yrds will most likely never happen.(big timber with smaller meadows).One place told me to just get a standard 4 power scope and call it good.The other shop actually suggested using a scope made for shotguns.The way he explained it, a 30/30 is a brush gun(duh) and I will need something with big eye relief for quicker sight in of the deer,additionally the length shots I have are quite similar to what shotgun huntuers using slugs have. Beats me...........Any suggestions

Thanks for your help guys.

Old 12-20-2001, 04:18 PM
My Dad has a 2 1/2 on his 35. (Same rifle) I have a 4 on my 30.06 I would go with the 4. I'm going to go with a 3x9 one of these days.

Old 12-20-2001, 05:02 PM
lightningcrashz,

Try a low power (1.5-6 or so) variable. The versatility is nice.

Old 12-20-2001, 05:06 PM
If your only shootin 75 yards why ruin a 30/30 with a scope I say go open sight but thats just mah opinion!

Old 12-20-2001, 06:25 PM
Id go with a Leupold no matter what thats what i have on my .300 and i wouldnt trade it for ten other scopes
JJ

Old 12-20-2001, 07:15 PM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Try the accu-dot scope it works just like iron sights but all you do is use the red dot in the scope and reap the rewards...

Old 12-20-2001, 07:22 PM
the simmons 2.5-5x pro diamond would be spiffy choice. it is a shotgun scope.

Old 12-21-2001, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Swofford
If your only shootin 75 yards why ruin a 30/30 with a scope I say go open sight but thats just mah opinion!
Ditto what He says. I have a Scope that goes to 18 power on my 7 mag but i'll shoot 6-700 yard shots.

Old 12-21-2001, 03:49 AM
Thumbs up thanks guys

Just so you know, my eyes aren't that great I and I cannot shoot acurately beyond 40 yrds w/ iron sights.

There seems to be alot of different suggestions......It must be a matter of personal taste or something.I also went to Marlin's Forums and alot of people run alot of differnt types of scopes over there.I will have to check into that simmons scope and a few of the better 3x9 scopes also.........thanks again

Old 12-21-2001, 10:21 AM
Leupold has discontinued the Vari-x II 3 X 9 scope. You can find it for around $200.00.

I've had one for over 10 years and have carried it all over the West and Canada. It's been in rain for days at a time and in dry dusty conditions for many trips. I take no more care of it than wiping it off and cleaning the lenses. It is still clear and solid. For the money, it is a steal.

Besides, Jimmy Lee likes them too!

Old 12-21-2001, 10:52 AM
Non-variable

Opinions on the best scope or what power is almost like asking what is the best calibre cartidge. Ten peole will have ten different suggestions...all usually very sound.

IMO...for your situation, I would be looking at a non-variable scope no more than 4x. If you're hunting in brush at those close distances, you usually don't have time to be fiddling with a variable and at that range...it is an added expense that for me, is not justified.

Generally speaking, a quality non-variable (Luepold, Burris..which is my personal favorite) will be brighter, more durable and offer more eye relief than a variable of the same cost.

If I'm hunting in upstate NY, I use a straight 4X on my .270. When hunting in Canada where +200 yd shots are common, I use my Burris 2x7.

Whatever you decide on, don't skimp on the scope. A $100.00 scope can make for a very short and unpleasant outing.

GL!

Natty

Old 12-21-2001, 11:28 AM
I've got a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5 x 10 on my rifle. I always leave it set at 4 power. My next scope will not be a variable power scope. A buddy of mine has a Simmons with a 50mm objective lens ( the front lens ). That thing is like using night vision for all the light it pulls in. I would look for a good 4 power scope with as big an objective lens as you can get for shooting in low light conditions..

Old 12-21-2001, 11:41 AM
My opinion, forget the scope. You really shouldn't
need it at 75 yards. If you absolutely must have
one, go no higher than a 4 power. It's only a 30-30,
keep it simple. Just my opinion.

Scott

Old 12-21-2001, 01:16 PM
ive got quite a horror story with my burris 3-9x pistol scope. i paid a good buck for it. i mounted it on my .308 encore pistol. well first of all i ordered it from my dealer here locally. the first one never came, ups got a fringe benefit. so ordered another and it came. mounted it and went to the range. after the fourth shot inside the scope what looks like black coating shavings of some sort fly all over inside the scope and sticks to the inside of the lens and stays there. i was pretty mad. so took it back to the dealer and he said had to send it directly to burris. so i called burris, told them the deal, and demanded that they replace it and not attempt to repair it! i mean i have almost $400 bucks into this thing and i dont want a repaired one. they said ok no prob. send it in and as soon as we get it will send a replacement right out, turnaround time of about a week or so. two weeks go by and nothing. i call burris up. lady says i check on it for ya and call you back tommorow. 3 days later i call em back. same thing. i call you right back and give you the status on it. they never called back so i did and they had closed for the day. i call the next day and get the lady and she says, oh the reason for the hold up is that we dont have one to replace it with so we HAD to repair it. i about freaked but i kept my cool. she says it shipped out yesterday. should get in 3 days or so. 3 WEEKS later no scope. i am getting a little hot. i call em up. by the way it is long distance, get some other lady. i says give me the lady i had been dealing with. she puts me through, i get an answering machine. i call back immediatly and i says, GIVE ME THE PRESIDENT OR A VICE PRESIDENT NOW!! she like frantic , umm ok hold on. guy gets on the phone. never said his title but i assume he was a big wig. i give him the lowdown and my claim #. he says i check into it and i call ya back in 20 minutes. i said ive been down this road twice now with burris and if you dont call me back i will be mad. he promises. and he does. he calls me back in exactly 20 minutes. he said we still have the scope and we will ship it tommorow. im like yeah right. ive heard this before. he said call me if you dont get it. it was scheduled to come on veterans day. and it came. i look it over and it it has a few scratches and stuff on it. so here i go again. mount it and take it to the range. first shot blam, a piece of **** in the scope again flys up and sticks to the inside of the freaking scope!! i am like muthafugga. i was furious!!!!!!!!!! i ordered this friggin thing like in late august, i am sighitng this thing in the weekend before openeing day of gun season (nov 19) and it is still a piece of crap. i settled down and just continued to sight it in. everyshot i take with it it is like one of those crystal ball thingys with snow in it. flakes fly all over in it. the scope is 2 clicks from maxed out vertically and i am right on a 100 yds. no more adjustments!! i did shoot a 4 shot group 3/4 inch. i went on to shooting 3 deer with it this season. a 7 point and two does. during hunting i ran into a friend with the same pistol i have. he put a 2-7 burris on his encore. the first one he got the objective adjustment didnt work. no matter how you cranked on it it didnt magnify. he sent it in and got a replacement. he ran into running out of adjustment too with his scope. he had to put a shim under the scope ring!!!! i am sorry this post is huge and i thank you for taking the time to read. i still have to send the scope back. they will give me a new scope, or my money back to buy a leupold, or i will write a letter to every hunting mag. i can think of and i will tell burris that.

the end

Old 12-21-2001, 01:27 PM
i used to have a 30-30 with a 4x scope. worked perfect for that rifle. now i have a 30-30 with a 3-9x scope. it works great but it stays on 3x constantly.
would go with leopold though if i was you. good quality and fairl inexpensive. trying to find a vari x II is getting harder now though. checked around here but their gettin' slim here.

Quick Reply: Hunters: rifle and scope question