Examining the Ford F150 Hybrid Possibilities

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Examining the Ford F150 Hybrid Possibilities

TorqueNews has posted a good analysis examining the Ford F150 Hybrid possibilities.

Guessing the Ford F150 Hybrid Drivetrain
So far, the only information on the hybrid F150 promised to arrive by 2020 is that it will offer “powerful towing and payload capacity”. That is pretty vague, but we also know that the Ford Mustang is slated to get a hybrid drivetrain by 2020 and it is more than possible than these two vehicles will share a hybrid drivetrain. After all, the F150 and Mustang have shared many engines over the years and according to Ford, the hybrid Mustang will pack “V8 power and even more low-end torque”, so it seems reasonable to believe that the Mustang hybrid with V8 power and torque could serve as a great hybrid drivetrain for the F150 as well.
What would you expect from a Hybrid F150?

Old 05-17-2017, 11:55 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Probably a 4 banger Ecoboost.

Old 05-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I saw this article and it made me think

https://qz.com/943899/a-timeline-of-...e-making-them/

Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I expect the hybrid F150 to be a very limited production truck. GM tried it a few years back and they couldn't give them away. Doesn't matter how much they claim it will tow, folks are not just going to dump a known mechanical vehicle and jump off into something new. I doubt it makes even a ripple in the waters of sales. And even if it does out tow on nice level ground and use less fuel, who is to say the electric motors won't go into safe mode when pulling that same load in the mountains. It's one thing to pull a max load up ONE grade and then back down. It's a different game when you do it for hours. One of these days, we all will be driving diesel/electrics but it's in the distant future, not the near future.

Old 05-18-2017, 03:58 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Oil at $50-per-barrel may put a kink in that plan -- it's hard to get anyone (beyond a few Leftist wack-jobs in California) to pay a steep premium for a hybrid vehicle when you will probably never recover the added cost in fuel savings.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a joke that was made to please the former Administration that was full of Eco nuts. The motors, batteries and internal combustion powerplant add a lot of weight that run up the empty vehicle weight. This in turn drags down the available payload. Now you have a truck that might have a lot of grunt for a short spurt but the truck is pushing the weight limits when you try to use it.

Having said that, a friend of mine had a hybrid VW Touareg. We flat embarrassed an empty GM truck on the freeway while towing a trailer. He had a loud exhaust and it was obvious that he was trying to beat us to the merge point and was going to cut us off. My friend made sure that didn't happen. I'm not sure what hurt the redneck's feelings more, the fact a VW pulling a trailer walked away from him or that it was a hybrid.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Wookie
Having said that, a friend of mine had a hybrid VW Touareg. We flat embarrassed an empty GM truck on the freeway while towing a trailer. He had a loud exhaust and it was obvious that he was trying to beat us to the merge point and was going to cut us off. My friend made sure that didn't happen. I'm not sure what hurt the redneck's feelings more, the fact a VW pulling a trailer walked away from him or that it was a hybrid.
Electrics can be scary fast, I remember seeing on some tv show a tesla model S P90D in ludicrous speed mode outrun a hellcat from a standing start until the tesla hit the factory top speed limit of 155 mph then the hellcat eventually caught up and passed it.