Anyone from Colorado Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:39 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Anyone from Colorado Springs?

So we are headed on Vacation in a couple weeks to Colorado Springs. We didn't want a hotel, so we are renting a cabin at Mountain Dale for the 5 nights.

So far we have the following planned.

1. Pikes Peak
2. Garden of the Gods
3. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
4. Seven Falls
5. Royal Gorge

Looks like there is a off road trail from Florence to Cripple Creek called the Phantom Canyon Road. Has anyone traveled this road before? We are wanting a nice scenic drive away but don't want something that 4wd is needed or a risk of hurting the truck.

What else is suggested to do around the area? We don't mind driving a little piece but don't want a 250 mile trip either.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2015, 09:18 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Probably won't make it this trip but here's a couple of places you want to hit. The Steam train from Chama N Mexico to Antonito Colo. It's an all day trip. You want to buy tickets in advance and sit on the right side of the car facing the engine. The train makes some incredible climbs that just doesn't seem real. Most will follow the train where the hiway runs with the tracks. At Cumbres Pass, the train goes away from the hiway and you're in Colorado wonderland. The climb to get to Cumbres Pass station just doesn't seem possible that the train can climb like that. Here's a vid and the end of it has the train making the climb to Cumbres. You can hear the train pulling for miles. The trip back is by bus driven by NASCAR dropouts. Take water and pocket snacks although there is a stop half way that has sandwiches.

From Chama you take the forest roads over to South Fork. It's a dirt road but your truck can make it, all 70+ miles of it. Usually the first part of the road is rough due to traffic but once you've gone 8-10 miles it's real nice. You'll be off of the main roads and into the heart of old time Colorado. You'll go by and I'd recommend stopping in the fishing village of Platoro. It's different and if you like to fish, this is the place. Once you've gotten to South Fork, there are lots of off hiway places to go and to see. You can go to Creede and see a gold mine. Creede has modernized some but the old west flavor is still there. You won't mistake it for Angelo.
I've been lucky enough to travel that area extensively. Tons of gold mines you can go see and go into if yer nutz enough. You can pick gold up off of the ground, geodes, amethyst, I have a piece of silver that is the size of a hard ball. There's Bachelor City (ghost town) above Creede although there's not much left. Tons of stuff to see there that does not require 4x4. Now if you have 4x4, DM me and I can take you to places that will knock yer eyes out. Caution, make sure you have GREAT off road tires and great brakes. Takes coats regardless the time of year. Take at least a case of bottled water. Make sure everybody stays hydrated as you can get sick at those altitudes from dehydration, quick. Takes snacks and easy food stuffs just in case you break down- you might be a few days waiting for a wrecker. If going off road, buy local forest maps, most are 2 wheel drive. Best time to go, the last 2 weeks of September. The colors are fabulous.

Last edited by Labnerd; 09-29-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know that area of CO but this place http://www.traildamage.com/trails/index.php is great for finding trails in that part of the country. Their ratings are fairly accurate too. When I was last out there we were hitting trails in Dad's Scout on 35" mud tires so we weren't too worried about looking for something easy. Every forest road I have ever been on is completely doable in a 2WD when it's dry. The dirt out there gets pretty slippery in the rain. But, if it does rain just wait an hour and it will be dry again. I only kicked in 4X4 because it was pouring rain and I was pulling a camper up a really steep dirt road. Even then I wasn't having much of an issue with the AT3s I had on but having all 4 wheels available for engine braking was helpful.

Drink water like a camel at an oasis! And if you get into the beers remember at that altitude cut what you normally would drink by 1/2-2/3. This year has been pretty wet through the end of July in the north central region so the low areas might be a bit more swampy than normal. I really don't know how it has been since then or in that area since I was between Rustic and Walden most of the time.

If you get a chance drive a N/A truck up high then jump back into your EB. You will be surprised at just how much those K03s help out.

Old 09-30-2015, 11:11 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
If you drive to the top of Pikes Peak, come down in manual 1st gear and don't ride the brakes - there's a brake check station part way down where they measure your brake temps with an infrared gun. If the brakes are hot you have to park it till they come down.

Old 09-30-2015, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We took our two boys several years ago to Colorado Springs and did many of the things on your list. Great vacation! On the same trip we went to Denver (~1.5 hrs away) and toured the Coors Brewery in Golden, The Denver Mint and caught a Rockies game. Enjoy!

Old 09-30-2015, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by glc
If you drive to the top of Pikes Peak, come down in manual 1st gear and don't ride the brakes - there's a brake check station part way down where they measure your brake temps with an infrared gun. If the brakes are hot you have to park it till they come down.
Yea, We went to pikes peak 3 years ago passing through. Got to the check point and he checked the brakes, then checked the brakes again. Looked at the license plate and said you may have the record for the coolest brakes coming down the mountain for a Texan.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:56 PM
Thanks Fellas for the advice on places to go. Definitely writing it all down

Old 09-30-2015, 10:06 PM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Yea, We went to pikes peak 3 years ago passing through. Got to the check point and he checked the brakes, then checked the brakes again. Looked at the license plate and said you may have the record for the coolest brakes coming down the mountain for a Texan.
The one time I did it, my brakes were 88 F. Gotta love a manual transmission! It was also in the early fall, air temp was in the 30's.

Quick Reply: Anyone from Colorado Springs?