At first I said no...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 12:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At first I said no...

My teen son wanted to go out to the desert with some friends, sit on a hill and watch the fireworks on the 4th. I trust him, so I finally agreed- he has to be let loose some time or another.

But inexperience has a price...

Missed it by that much...

If only I needed to do some work underneath...

No one hurt, no alcohol, damage was fairly minor. Just slid down and laid over. They had a cooler full of water, a bag of chips, and a cake.

Praise God for good kids- if that had been me at that age....

Old 07-19-2015, 02:12 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
At first I said no...

Glad there were no injuries!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:18 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The first roll you can blame on inexperience...........if it happens again, uh oh!

Glad nobody was hurt, could have been worse. But it still sucks.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Trucks are top heavy.

Good on him that probably wasn't very easy to call you after the accident and tell you what happened

Old 07-19-2015, 11:55 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Definitely could have been much worse -- the vehicle could have easily toppled down into a ravine in terrain like that -- fortunately, that was not the case!

This story reminds me of when I was back in high school in the early-80's and got a call around 9:30 one evening from one of my buddies. He said he had gotten into a "little accident" with his dad's truck and needed my help on a nearby gravel road. When I got there, I found his dad's truck (I want to say it was a '74 extended cab F-series -- I know it was the first year the extended cab trucks were offered as an option by Ford...????) laying over on its side in the middle of the road. My buddy was feeling around in the dark trying to collect all of the tools that had scattered over the accident scene from his old man's tool box!

We hooked a chain from the frame of the Ford to the hitch of my old man's '72 Chevy pick-up and pulled it back upright with an awful sound, but seemingly no additional damage! I just remember thinking at the time how horrible the ride back home was going to be for my buddy that night.....

This past Spring when I was back in Minnesota, I drove by my buddy's house and noticed that the truck was still parked under an apple tree in his parent's yard, with the scrapes and dents from his late-night adventure still left on the side of the vehicle!

Old 07-19-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, he was one busted up kid inside- emotionally. I never yelled..I just was glad no one was hurt. I had a strange calm about it, and I felt so bad for him. It isn't easy for a 17 year old boy to show those emotions- he was so sorry and heartbroken. For him to show that, and apologize and just hug me for comfort...well, if you've had kids who are no longer kids, you miss that kind of stuff.

I supplied the pics to the insurance company, and they came back and told me they decided he was not at fault! I mean, he was, but for them to come back and say that, well I just couldn't help but use that moment as another way to help the kid feel a little better about the whole thing. His remorse was pretty painful to watch for me, but it's something he has to go through.

And I really think it helped our relationship as he works his way through life and becoming a man...

Pretty cool when ya break it down!

Now had he lost my tools...that might have been a different story.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Simply67X
Now had he lost my tools...that might have been a different story.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ge...ool-boxes.html

Quick Reply: At first I said no...