Question of the Week: Have you driven the new F150?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 01:04 PM
IB Editor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our newest Question of the Week, we are curious to see how many of our members have some experience with the 2015 Ford F150.

Have you had a chance to drive one? Have you seen one in person at an auto show or dealership?

Tell us below how much exposure you have with the new generation F150 and what you thought of it!

Last edited by Patrick R.; 07-10-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:19 AM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Don't own a 2015 but have driven several now. The high end trucks have tons of tech crap to play with. So much that it might be considered dangerous since there's so much to play with. If you think cell phones are dangerous, try all of the crapola in a Platinum. I'm old school and all of this junk is just something to go wrong so I'm not a fan. For the downside, the steering is way passed numb. Zero road feedback and it takes a lot to get accustomed to. The wife has the electric steering in her Fusion and hates it. I'm not a fan. The size of the truck is just about impractical now. It's far too huge to be useful. You can't get anything out of the back end of one unless you carry a rake. The trucks are far too high and at 6'4" I find it hard to get in one. If I step over the rails, it's far too high. If I step on the rail to get in, now the door opening is too small/short. Bottom line- it's a pain in the but to get in. I wonder how long the seat is going to last as I have to slide out to exit the truck. And what was Ford thinking with the radios? A lot of folks like to upgrade the stereo systems. Best of luck with that adventure unless you just have bottomless pockets. Not everybody is going to want navigation and all of the glitz in the dash but will want a stereo upgrade. Ford has made that Mission Impossible. While I doubt this is common and you might even want to look into it if there are other respondents with the same issue. MY wife can't ride in one or she gets sick as a dog. We've been in several of them, Platinum, Lariat, 4x4, 2wd, and they all make her sick in just a few miles. She claims they have a vibration that makes her stomach uneasy. I don't feel it but her stomach sure does.
Overall, the new ones are an improvement and are the best value on the road today. The F150 has raised the bar for others to reach. But at what cost to functionality? It seems glitz is more important than usefulness. All makers of trucks have turned these things into open trunk soccer mom vehicles. When I go to buy a truck, I want a truck. I have a Lincoln in the garage if I want a nice ride. As strange as this might sound, the wife and I were discussing this at lunch today. My next truck will most likely be an older one with a nice interior and I'll have a current EFI engine and transmission put in it and just rebuild the truck. I will probably throw the same money at it as a new one but I'll have what I want, not a bloated pig that is near useless. Not saying the current F150 isn't a nice looking rig or that it's a lousy truck, but Ford has lost the meaning of what a truck is.

Old 07-12-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Can't say that I disagree with much of what Labnerd has to say.

I could probably be accurately called the "Anti-Techie" and can honestly say that all of the electronics and connectivity they are putting into modern vehicles holds absolutely ZERO interest to me! All I really see it as is a bunch of crap to make your life more complicated than it has to be and will just be a lot of garbage that will go on the fritz as the truck gets older!

I also agree on the size of the modern trucks -- they really have become bloated compared to what "real" trucks were back in the '70's and '80's. As I get closer to the age where I will be able to spend more time playing with my toy vehicles, I might be in the same boat as Labnerd -- more interested in spending money on a frame-off restoration of an older truck than sticking the same amount of money into one of the new "iPhones on wheels"......

Kind of glad I decided to keep my 2009 Ranger long term -- I think as the years wear on I will really begin to enjoy the straightforward simplicity of it when compared to where the modern vehicles have evolved!

Old 07-12-2015, 06:55 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I went to the dealership to test drive a 2015 but, they run a credit check first.

They told me I could test drive a '98.
I told them I already have a '99 and they told me, well come back when it's paid for.
I said ok, and left.
I went back when they were closed and looked thru the window at the interior, man it looked pretty good.
Next time I go there I'll wear shoes and comb my hair.

Old 07-12-2015, 08:28 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Not yet but I'd like to at some point. I have too wondered about the radio upgrades. In my Taurus I'll likely do nice speakers at some point but I really like the MFT and Sync. However, those that are unto HU's I wonder. That is no longer an affordable upgrade.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, I've been busy doing other things and don't plan on getting a new truck anytime soon. It ain't worth the effort to drive one for me.

The aftermarket radio is a problem on almost every new vehicle on the road. Most tie into the CAN bus or whatever network the vehicle uses for information about vehicle speed etc. Most of these networks are a closed loop type system so if you break it by installing an unknown device nothing else will work. They make pass through devices to get around this problem. If there's a will there's a way but it's a whole lot harder than it used to be.

Old 07-13-2015, 12:24 AM
You mean I can't buy a Sparkomatic radio at Wal-Mart anymore and install it in my new truck.....???

Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ddellwo
You mean I can't buy a Sparkomatic radio at Wal-Mart anymore and install it in my new truck.....???

Just hang it under the dash.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Just hang it under the dash.
Can't -- I've already mounted the bezel for my three "red neck" gauges there.....

Quick Reply: Question of the Week: Have you driven the new F150?