First New car purchase... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 12:47 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
First New car purchase... need some help

I need a bit of help with this. Pretty much decided on a 2014 Camry SE 4cyl. Only option I will add is the moonroof. The stock options are impressive and have everything I would need/want.

According to Toyota's site, set up this way with destination is $25,975. I know I don't pay MSRP.

Edmunds has invoice at $23,685 and the TMV at $24,333. TrueCar.com also shows their unusually low price that people have paid at invoice as being $23,708. I graduated college last year, so I qualify for $750 off a lot of Toyotas, but currently it only applies to the 2014.5 Camry so I want to wait until it's eligible on the 2015 redesign. I also can't tell if that rebate requres me to finance through Toyota Financial Services. I'm looking at doing this in Feburary/March and plan to get pre-approved for a loan with a co-signer so I get a better interest rate.

Here's where I need help: I plan on dealing with internet sales. Do I email a bunch of dealers and say what I want with a price just below invoice and see what happens? If a dealer agrees, how would I work in my Toyota graduate discount? I'm assuming I lock the price in then say I have it afterwards so they can't counter to compensate for the discount? I know ultimately I need that OTD price, so I can't get screwed with their payment shenanigans to make it seem like a good deal lol.

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 12-13-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
You'll need to run this by someone in your area. Down here in Texas, all pricing is set by Gulf Coast Dist and they love including crap like paint sealant and fabric sealant and other BS charges to give the dealers something to negotiate. It may be the same up there but your area is not serviced by GC. I'd line up my own financing so they won't poke yer eyes out with an interest rate. The dealers make money on how many interest points over what you actually qualify for. I would not tell them about having my own money until you are face to face with them. I would list the options as packages which should be available on Toyota website. Buying in packages saves $$$ over specific options. I would shop it at all Toyota dealerships and even some of the car buying places. I would not specify a price I'm willing to pay, let them tell you what they can do. You might also include that you are a buyer, not a shopper and give a date when you expect to make the purchase. Make sure everything is in WRITING. Make sure to read the fine print of their offer. A cheap price that requires you use their financing is going to cost you. If you haven't driven one, I'd strongly suggest it before shopping for one. I'm 6'4" and can't get in one, the roof is far too low. The wifes new Fusion is an equally rated car for reliability and I can get in her car with a little effort. Once in it I'm fine. You'll get a far better deal on a Fusion than any Toyota and I've been nothing short of surprised with the quality of the Fusion. It's a top shelf car. FWIW, with me driving it at 65 I can get 45 mpg hiway. The car only has 2600 miles on it so it should get better. Love the Select Shift transmission in it too. Maintenance will be far cheaper with the Fusion. Check out the price of an oil change on that Camry and you might just change yer mind.

Old 12-14-2014, 12:03 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Which engine is in that Fusion?

Old 12-14-2014, 01:48 AM
The car is a 2014 SE with the standard 2.5 4 banger. It came with a set of tricked up 255/70/17 Michelin tires that are supposed to get max fuel mileage. The tire carries 51 lbs of pressure which is what it says on the door jamb. Rides like a dream though and is pretty quiet, quieter than our Lincoln. I guess I do need to step up and say I get better fuel mileage than most. My 2014 Supercrew with the 3.7 is now giving me 27 mpgs hiway at 65 mph. I also have an A.R.E LS II top on it. But I 'd put the Fusion up against anything in its class. Reminds me of the old Cougars that were near bulletproof. The wife had a 1990 that I all but had to beg her to get out of it. They were a well built, extremely reliable platform. The Fusion is going to have the same DNA only much better. Takes a lot for me to be impressed about any vehicle. I'm impressed with the Fusion.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:22 AM

Great info thanks Labnerd. I have already test driven it and having a few of them at home it was no surprise. I don't want any ecoboost but I may actually see what's available for the base na 4cyl like youra. I'm after a sporty and firmer ride. That's why I like the se Camry plus they're so damn reliable. We change the oil ourselves so I don't mind that really. I'm kind of torn on the fusion look. The Titaniums look great but bases are eeh

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 12-14-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
Great info thanks Labnerd. I have already test driven it and having a few of them at home it was no surprise. I don't want any ecoboost but I may actually see what's available for the base na 4cyl like youra. I'm after a sporty and firmer ride. That's why I like the se Camry plus they're so damn reliable. We change the oil ourselves so I don't mind that really. I'm kind of torn on the fusion look. The Titaniums look great but bases are eeh
Shelby Focus ST

Name:  A1B1216C-325D-4022-9679-CC10F1C36F79.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  119.7 KB

http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...helby-focus-st

Last edited by 88racing; 12-14-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:09 AM

No turbos...I'm going for an economical ride. I'm keeping the truck so I have to get something cost effective. I set up a fusion online and it was a bit under the Camry Se with more options. I added the appearance package and got fogs, decklid, some trim stuff and the really nice 18's. I'm going to test drive one. Both seem really comparable performance wise. Just can't beat how reliable those Camry's are...we've had no issues and one is at 100k (2009 le) and the other is over 60 (2011 se). Upon further reading earlier, that 2.5 is in the duratech line. And that is a fantastic engine line. Extremely sout and reliable. Like a 4.6 2v

Last edited by TruckGuy24; 12-14-2014 at 10:11 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2014, 10:37 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The amount of research you are doing is awesome, John. Very thorough. I have no doubt you'll end up making a wise choice. The Fusions are awesome, and I'm always an advocate for buying American - especially Ford - but you have to do what you are most comfortable with. When you are making this type of investment, you can do all the research in the world, but you still have to take your gut feeling into account. If you want the Camry, and you feel the most confident about that, them go for it. As my dad would say: when in doubt, don't.

As far as the actual purchase, the best advice I can give you is to make sure they know you don't NEED the car. You're a serious buyer, but not desperate. The best thing I ever did was to act like I don't give a crap. Do not be afraid to get up and walk out the door. Trust me, they'll call you within an hour and give you what you want.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John, just because it has a turbo attached to the motor doesn't automatically mean it's not economical to drive. My 9 year old 8,200 pound one ton truck that has almost 230,000 miles on it is getting about 18 mpg on the highway and 14-15 mpg in town running a high hp tune. It's all in the way you drive a turbocharged motor that makes a difference in what you get for mileage.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It’s fairly easy to find out MSRP vs. Invoice costs these days as you’ve already found out. My general rule of thumb is that for most vehicles, you should be able to buy it for pretty close to Invoice on a clean deal – if you know what you’re doing. For vehicles in extremely high or low demand, things can change quite a bit though.

Here’s a technique that worked well for me several times when I was in your position. (That position being knowing exactly what vehicle I wanted.) Pick 3 or 4 dealers you’d be comfortable buying from, then in one day, visit all of them with the exact same proposition. Tell them you want their very best price – in writing – in a sealed envelope, and that you’re going to buy the vehicle this week. Tell them you’re going to visit several other dealers the same day with the exact same proposition and you will only decide who you are buying from when you open all of the envelopes tonight.

This technique does several things. First, it avoids any particular dealer trying to strong arm you into buying their vehicle on the spot. (Remember, no dealer wants to see you walk out the door without signing something.) Second, it gives you time to check out how much pressure a given dealer is willing to apply. (I never buy from a dealer with high pressure.) Finally, it levels the playing field and forces each dealer to give you their very best price without the hassle of the salesman supposedly going back and forth to management trying to get you a better deal.

Hope that helps!

Old 12-14-2014, 12:05 PM
FWIW, the wife bought her 2014 Fusion SE loaded in August, She paid $20,000. even for it plus tax, title, license, and traded in her beloved 2006 Focus with 68,000 miles on the clock. She financed $16,000. with no down pay. Interest rate with Ford was 2.6% for 48 months. The car gets a LOT of looks and positive comments. At least now you have a target price zone for what a Fusion should cost you. Hers has automatic everything, Sirius, fog lights, keyless entry, enough computer crap in the dash to drive you crazy, I think there are 13 buttons on the steering wheel alone and most of those are dual functioning. Bluetooth for phone, My Touch, Sync,,etc. About the only thing it doesn't have is a hole in the roof and heated seats. I will warn you though, this car is not for the computer illiterate. She buys all of the IT junk for the 5th largest school district in Texas and this thing just about got out in front of her. Once setup, it does just about everything for the driver except drive it. It's a lot of car for the money.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Buying new, I would expect equal reliability out of a new Camry and a new Fusion. Upfront cost to purchase will benefit the Fusion -- you'll get more car for the money. Styling is a personnel preference, although I'd give the nod to the Fusion. Resale likely goes to the Camry, although this is a non-issue for me since I generally don't sell my vehicles -- I run them into the ground. Either way you choose, I think you'll be well-served.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:33 PM

Dave, the ecoboosts scare me away...I'm not sold on that yet. The ST is cool but just need something with some personality that's affordable.

Also some great ways to buy, thanks for that everyone. Its very helpful.

I went and drove the fusion exactly as I would buy. SE 2.5 with appearance package and moonroof. Identical to a titanium without the fancy rear valance. I'll be buying the fusion. It blew me away. Felt more powerful despite a few less HP than the Camry and the ride in different situations was very nice. Options are insane... So much car for the money and the ride and transmission was fantastic. The guy asked if I was a mechanic because of how much I knew It's a superior car to the Camry and I'm being honest. I almost didn't even look at the fusion.

Thanks for the recommendation on it, would have overlooked it.

Old 12-14-2014, 04:36 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dsq3973
John, just because it has a turbo attached to the motor doesn't automatically mean it's not economical to drive. It's all in the way you drive a turbocharged motor that makes a difference in what you get for mileage.
Exactly!!

Look at the people that complain about the EB F150's and most of them have no clue how to drive a turbo'd vehicle. I on the other hand have always got great mileage and will continue to do so, All it takes is common sense when driving.

Id definitely go with a Fusion compared to a Yota.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by KingRanchCoy
Exactly!!

Look at the people that complain about the EB F150's and most of them have no clue how to drive a turbo'd vehicle. I on the other hand have always got great mileage and will continue to do so, All it takes is common sense when driving.

Id definitely go with a Fusion compared to a Yota.
I know this very well...I just don't want a turbo car. Personal preference. I was referring to the ST as a whole.

Quick Reply: First New car purchase... need some help