Stained Glass Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Stained Glass Repair

I've got a stained glass window ornament, and when I was cleaning, being Mr. Clumsy, I dropped it on a carpet floor. But it was enough for a crack to form in one place.

I've read some stuff online, and it's just too many supplies for 1 little piece. I'd rather spend a couple bucks and have someone who has the supplies do it and to do it right. Not saying I can't do it... it's just the supplies along would run me a small fortune.

I'm not looking to spend a lot of money, but willing to spend enough to fix it. Hopefully no more than $20 to $30 bucks to get it fixed.

Does anyone on here, or can recommend some place to mail it to have it repaired?

I did a Google search... and I found everything but what I was hoping to find.

It's funny, there used to be a specialty glass shop down the street from me like 10 years ago... and I used to laugh, and say, "Gee, I will never need that guy..." well I do now.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a neighbor that does it, and she's made a large piece for me, but she just does something here and there. So I'm thinking most of the folks that are left that do it are just people who do it in their spare time and are gonna be hard to get a hold of.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:39 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
so you need a soldering iron, a peice of glass to match the one you have. pattern of part, glass cutter, class pliers to crack the glass or nibble it., not needed but nice to have a small glass grinder. then depending on how it is done, either the lead channel or the special tape to line the edges of the class so the hot lead attaches. then possibly the stuff to patena the lead.

i did a google search and found:
Rohlf’s Stained & Leaded Glass Studio
783 S. Third Ave.
Mount Vernon, NY 10550-4946

the same stuff it takes to do a hugh peace is the same stuff to do a small repair. if you have custom beveled parts than i would expect to pay more.

i would pay a shop to do repair. long ago my aunt did it and i took some classes, fun but very time consuming and the more you do the better you get.

Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your yellow pages for arts and crafts supply stores, there was one in the city out here that would probably do small repairs, they had classes in stained glass. Maybe if one near you has something like that you could still do it yourself without buying the supplies as part of the class or the owner might do it or know a customer to set you up with.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:30 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions.

Hmm... we've got a Michael's here. I'm going to call them and ask.

I guess I'll just have to ask around, and eventually I'll find someone.

That Rohlf's place sounds interesting. I'm going to contact them too. Can't hurt.

But if anyone has more suggestions keep'em rolling in.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The problem is most of the Hippies that used to do it are all either dead or still too stoned to remember how.

I would find some place that sells the supplies and ask them for a reference for an artist who could help you. Or like said find where someone is teaching a class and ask if the instructor ,not a student, could repair it as a demo for the class.

Quick Reply: Stained Glass Repair