Sochi... anyone want to go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Sochi... anyone want to go?

All I'm gonna say is yikes. I bet this gonna be a disaster. Was just talking to my brother about this. No way in hell I'd be going over there with a 10' pole. I can only imagine the bombings/attacks that will take place.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the risk is being over blown. I live in Salt Lake and lived here during the Olympics. You couldn't go anywhere near venues without walking through metal/bomb detectors dogs all around and all. During the Olympics Sochi will be the safest place on the planet. is it possible that in an outlying area an attack could take place? Sure. Happened here in Atlanta to.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hotels where EVERYONE will be staying aren't even done yet . . . lol

Old 01-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree the risk is being overblown in the media but they still have a problem. The venues may be safe but what about everywhere else large crowds gather.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
During the Salt Lake Olympics there were things that happened that were quietly swept under the rug. The event is a target for sure. Extremists will try to make the Russians look bad.. I actually feel sorry for them. They are much closer to that element the Islamic extreme then the US is. they have to deal with it directly.. In the end I wouldn't think twice about going if it was something I wanted to do. I wouldn't worry about security that much. Probably be wise to blend in outside of venues. Not look American. Its wise to do that anywhere in the world these days anyway.

Old 01-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I presently spend quite a bit of time in this country, and in that part of the world. The presence of armed military make the would be militants think twice before acting.
There are isolated cases of terrorism, but I think it is being sensationalized by the media.
As you soon learn when traveling in some countries, you don't go around shouting to the locals that your American, or wear anything that announces it for all to see.

Last edited by Marc Carpenter; 01-27-2014 at 03:58 PM.