F-150 Cold Engine Start Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-150 Cold Engine Start Problems...

Howdy,

Here's my first post on the forum and it's a question for which I need an answer, so I turned to you fellas.

I am the proud owner of a 1998 F-150 Supercab that I purchased in 2008, that had only 67,000 miles.

It has been reliable and looks as good as the day I bought it from the original owner.

Minimum problems, I replaced the fuel filter about a year ago.

Buuuut, of late I have been having trouble starting in the mornings.

Crank and die, crank and die, crank and die...

I hold the accelarator down a bit, race the engine a tad till the engine warms up and voilą!

It runs perfect when it warms up.

Next morning same thing.

Any suggestions?

Name:  Truck001.jpg
Views: 1706
Size:  114.6 KB

Last edited by Old Paths; 02-08-2013 at 12:19 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 02-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The first 45 seconds or so of cold start is controlled by the maf, so try cleaning it before you start looking around much.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
The first 45 seconds or so of cold start is controlled by the maf, so try cleaning it before you start looking around much.
Thanks for the response.

OK, I'm kinda slow , so what's the maf and where do I find it.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's probably the M.A.F. (Mass Air Flow sensor) or the I.A.C. (Idle Air Control valve).

Easiest way to tell/show you how to clean them would be to go to youtube and search for "ford mass air flow sensor cleaning" or "ford idle air control valve cleaning".

Old 02-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
IAC

Old 02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by ONELOWF
Originally Posted by Frank S
It's probably the M.A.F. (Mass Air Flow sensor) or the I.A.C. (Idle Air Control valve).

Easiest way to tell/show you how to clean them would be to go to youtube and search for "ford mass air flow sensor cleaning" or "ford idle air control valve cleaning".
Originally Posted by jbrew
IAC
Thanks.

I went to Youtube and couldn't find a video for the 4.6.

I did find the MAF and tomorrow, I will pick up the MAF electornic cleaner and a new air filter (while I'm at it) and will clean it.

But, I have looked for the IAC and can't loacte it.

OK, I'm an OLD dummy, but if someone can tell me WHERE the IAC is located on a 98 F-150 4.6 I will be one happy guy.

THANKS again for your help.....

Old 02-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Mounted to the back of the throttle body. Has 2 bolts and a wire clip, It can be removed and cleaned with WD40.

Looks like this

Old 02-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Toyz
Mounted to the back of the throttle body. Has 2 bolts and a wire clip, It can be removed and cleaned with WD40.

Looks like this
Actually his is on the drivers side of the body, unlike the 5.4L's, which are in the back by the firewall. I think I have his engine loaded up here ? Yea here's a diag -

Yea WD or DeepCreep (sold @ Auto Zone) DeepCreep works best to clean as it breaks down carbon deposits better. It also lubricates. You can use WD 40 tho.

When you clean the IAC, work the plunger mechanism inside. Carbon deposits can prevent it from functioning correctly, or not at all.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by Toyz

Looks like this
Actually his is on the drivers side of the body, unlike the 5.4L's, which are in the back by the firewall. I think I have his engine loaded up here ? Yea here's a diag -

Yea WD or DeepCreep (sold @ Auto Zone) DeepCreep works best to clean as it breaks down carbon deposits better. It also lubricates. You can use WD 40 tho.

When you clean the IAC, work the plunger mechanism inside. Carbon deposits can prevent it from functioning correctly, or not at all.
Thanks soooooooo much!

The guys and suggestions on this forum have been EXCELLENT!

With your help, even I could do the job.

Thanks again for all the help.

I will see in the next few days if it all worked.........

Old 02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Just wanted to say that for the last 4 mornings, my sweet little 1998 F-150 has started without a problem!

Thanks for the info, suggestions and the REMEDY to my cold engine start problem.

You gentlemen are awesome............

Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Old Paths
Just wanted to say that for the last 4 mornings, my sweet little 1998 F-150 has started without a problem!

Thanks for the info, suggestions and the REMEDY to my cold engine start problem.

You gentlemen are awesome............
Thanks for reporting back. I think most would agree, it's good to hear from you and that it's running well.

A little tip and just so you know, - if you have an engine problem in the future, you'll get more responses in the "Engine" forum on this site.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks for reporting back. I think most would agree, it's good to hear from you and that it's running well.

A little tip and just so you know, - if you have an engine problem in the future, you'll get more responses in the "Engine" forum on this site.

Ok, I will remember that...

Quick Reply: F-150 Cold Engine Start Problems...