Escape or 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Escape or 4runner

My wife and I have decided we are going to get a newer escape or a bit older 4runner... I freaking hate the new toyota's!! It's a tough decision because they are two totally different suv's but that is what she wants and I want the best bang for my buck!

I'm thinking that we will travel 5.5hours to the folks house's and then back home... another 5.5hr once a month.

We need something big enough for two adults and a three year old with all of our crap in it. I need it to get decent fuel economy and above all, it needs to be reliable!

Any thoughts?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My wife's ride is an '05 Escape that we purchased new -- it has been a fantastic vehicle for us, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another one in an instant.....

We have a 5-year-old and have found it to be big enough to haul all the crap that goes along with a young child. If you plan on having any more kids, you might want to look at something bigger, but if you're "one-and-done" like we are, then you should have no problem with the size of the vehicle.....

Old 08-12-2011, 10:36 PM
LOL I hope we are done! Thanks for your input. I think the escape should be big enough for us but the 4runner has a bit more of the things that I like. Kind of small things that i can live without but that is why it is making the decision much more tougher than I thought.

I had an 06 Tacoma that we both really like but even in the double cab the back seat just wasn't enough for a little one.

That is why I'm leaning towards the 4runner because it is basically like the tacoma but bigger and more useful.... IDK

Old 08-12-2011, 10:47 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
we picked up a 2010 Escape, we love it, gets good gas mileage even with the V6. Im 6'6" and can fit well in it. Not a ton of space in the back seat, but good sized cargo space.

Best thing i can recommend is getting the whole family loaded up and take a trip to the dealership and see which one fits your family better.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

Best thing i can recommend is getting the whole family loaded up and take a trip to the dealership and see which one fits your family better.
X2, i have always heard great things about the escapes. we started to get a 05 model, we drove it and the wife said it felt like she was driving a go cart.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just got my wife a used 2006 with the 4 cylinder. Planning/hoping to have our first in the next year or so. The 5 speed is a geared a little weird but overall great vehicle so far. Got 28 mpg a month ago on its first road trip, better than my F150 by far...

Old 08-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks guys.
@uncle jesse good luck with your first one!

The decision is mainly up to her, but I do not want any problems out of the vehicle. I guess when I get back we will have to take a trip to the local dealer and check them out.

It may come down to the best price.. The 4runner's have a ridiculous resale value and the escape's seem to hold their values fairly well also...

Trending Topics

Old 08-13-2011, 08:20 PM
@Patman03sprcrw- Is the A/C and heat good in the escapes? As far as the backseats are concerned? That is one thing I like about the 4runner is that it comes with the center console HVAC vents for the rear passengers. I know I love that feature in my truck.... just wondering if it makes a big difference in the summer and winter?

What kind of gas mileage are you getting with the V-6 Escape?

Last edited by nathan3306; 08-13-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: had another question
Old 08-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
My wife says that's the one feature she wishes her Escape had -- AC vents in the backseat area for the kid.

We get 23 highway with our V6 Escape -- I suspect the newer ones with the 6-speed auto do a tad better than that. I've never figured the mileage just beating around town, but I suspect it isn't that much different.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
escape

Old 08-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by nathan3306
@Patman03sprcrw- Is the A/C and heat good in the escapes? As far as the backseats are concerned? That is one thing I like about the 4runner is that it comes with the center console HVAC vents for the rear passengers. I know I love that feature in my truck.... just wondering if it makes a big difference in the summer and winter?

What kind of gas mileage are you getting with the V-6 Escape?
We dont have "rear air" only had her younger brother back there and he didnt complain. We have black leather interior and it doesnt get very hot inside, and cools down quickly even from just the dash vents.

We have only had our '10 Escape for 2ish months now, so no heat experience to speak of, but it does have heated seats which i think the wife will enjoy in the two or three weeks of "winter" we get

we're seeing 21-22 mixed city/hwy driving, and 24-26 highway depending on how fast we drive

Quick Reply: Escape or 4runner